Are these joists supported correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these joists supported correctly?

You cant quite see in the pictures but underneath where the two joists overlap is another joist going in the horizontal direction (direction of pipes) and the cut ends rest on it

PXL_20210610_191317513.jpg
PXL_20210610_191305064.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell without details of the beam underneath, but given the depth of those leveling strips then possibly not.

Looks like they have been supported for the past 100 years, correctly or not!

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell without details of the beam underneath, but given the depth of those leveling strips then possibly not.
the beam underneath is a wood beam - situated between two brick walls. by the looks of it the house was extended and this is the result

Get the builders back and make them do it properly.

What's the ply doing? Raising the floor?

Where is this? A loft? Looks like then underside of a lath and plaster ceiling?

Did your guys do this Jim, or, was it purchased like this?

no ideas who the builders were as I just bought it a few weeks ago!

To be honest; it feels quite solid. Any suggestions on a DIY fix? or does it need a major change?

by the way i'm not so sure now that the house was extended. Do you think it could have originally been built like that in 1900?!?

It was just a lame attempt at a funny. As mentioned it looks about a 100 years old.

The main issue is the plumber cutting into the joists. I presume this was to allow a floor to be laid over. Did you take a floor up?
I wouldn't do much with it other than maybe add a few more lengths of ply similar to what's been done. And maybe add a few more fixings to the existing ply.
It's been like it for yonks and if it seems solid I doubt it will cause a major issue.
no ideas who the builders

Seen as I've got the floorboards up will sure it up. Maybe use joist fixings to clamp both hosts together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back