Are Wilo Pumps crap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had to go back to a boiler job today, all worked ok for 6 months, boiler in kitchen, cylinder/valves/pump/air bottle upstairs, all almost directly above in airing cupboard, Baxi Solo, pipes vertical straight off boiler, combined vent/feed so no suck or blowing over, air rattling round hot water circuit, rads at end of house struggling even on CH only, no circulation boiler wont fire, pump 6 months old, so change for another brand new Wilo, didn't like just on hot water even, never mind 7 rads, it's only a semi, air rattling round and boiler lockout, same problem, so put in Grunfoss 15/60, all seems fine now and no air rattling round, rads all hot, are Wilo's crap ???

Sponsored Links
Stopped using them last year. Tempted by price and good reports on their commercial range. Rather pay the extra for Grundfos - much quieter also 15/50 15/60 are labelled 'made in GB' for what it's worth.

6 hours of unpaid work trying to sort out the bitch system/pump, 3 different merchants to get a 15/60 Grunfoss, always other side of town :evil: managed to charge for the extra cost of Grunfoss and 2 T/valves I fitted, **** poor day, now council want to fine me £70.00 for parking at a job a month ago, I knew nothing about it, no ticket nothing, bastrads, good job I charge proper rates to help cover days like these, beware all you £10.00 an hour wallys.

Sponsored Links
I quite like wilo pumps...call me a fool if you like but i cant see what is so bad with them :LOL:

Sure mine is a Wilo, been going strong nearly 11 years now. (Famous last words no doubt when I wake up cold tomorrow......)

They wear out quickly on dirty systems, and I've had 2 new ones which were never quiet. Had to change one :evil:

As chris has said, if you have dirt in the system a Wilo pump is bad news. On clean systems they're as good as any other pump on the market imo. Grundfos are the king though, amazing some of the systems i've seen them pumping what looks like oil around the system.
I've documented in the cc before about Wilo pumps ability to pick up muck in a system, I once swapped a wilo head in a vaillant boiler and before i'd walked out of the door the new one had blocked up solid! Changed it again and that one blocked in 20mins, gave up until flush had been done..the system water looked clear but there was obviously enough flakes floating around to cause problems.

they are crap.

don't forget ideal use them and they **** water out the bottom on their boilers regularly.

of all the wilos ive fitted not 1 runs queitly, even on new sealed systems, never had a problem with reliability though, still, have returned to using grundfos.

The water in this system is so clean you could drink it, 1st pump was clean inside anyway, so not down to dirt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back