Are you allowed to have an appliance plugged into a socket in another room permanently? Ie. Alexa in bathroom, socket in loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, after some guidance, please :)

Would it be ok with building regs to put an Alexa in zone 3 of the bathroom if she's in a hole, high up on the wall, behind a grill that is screwed on to the wall and can't be taken off the wall without a screwdriver? The plan is to have the alexa wire going up trunking, which will be embedded in the plasterboard and plaster, leading into the loft and then have her plugged in to a socket in the loft?

I'd be very grateful for confirmation that this is ok or some advice about what I would need to change if it isn't would be fab!! :)

Sponsored Links
New sockets and cable runs require rcd protection, I believe. Otherwise the rules around burying cables in safe zones apply - at least 50mm deep on either side of the wall, within 150mm of the top of the ceiling or the corners where two walls meet.

Or why not get an Alexa enabled standalone speaker.

Finally there is considerable debate on this forum about sockets added to lighting circuits, so expect some strong views on that.

Blup

Would Alexa hear you if she's in a hole, high up on the wall, behind a grill that is screwed on to the wall and can't be taken off the wall without a screwdriver?

Sponsored Links
Would Alexa hear you if she's in a hole, high up on the wall, behind a grill that is screwed on to the wall and can't be taken off the wall without a screwdriver?
I think so - I'll do a dry run first. I shall report back on that one!

New sockets and cable runs require rcd protection, I believe. Otherwise the rules around burying cables in safe zones apply - at least 50mm deep on either side of the wall, within 150mm of the top of the ceiling or the corners where two walls meet.

Or why not get an Alexa enabled standalone speaker.

Finally there is considerable debate on this forum about sockets added to lighting circuits, so expect some strong views on that.

Blup
Thank you :) The trunking would sit just behind the plaster skim but would be within 150mm of the corner of the room. I've just had a new consumer unit put in a couple of months ago so I'm assuming every circuit coming off it will have RCD protection but I'll go and check! It'll be powered by a socket attached to a 4mm cabled radial circuit rather than the lights. I'll attach a photo of where the hole is in relation to the wall. It's obviously very early stages of being made!

Veeeery early stages!

Attachments

• PXL_20230124_131636409.jpg
    PXL_20230124_131636409.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 64
Isn't Alexa going to be a target for condensation/mould if she's not in free, circulating air?

Isn't Alexa going to be a target for condensation/mould if she's not in free, circulating air?
I'm honestly not sure - I'll monitor the situation carefully for the first 6 months and then check quarterly. There's a lot of insulation on the other side of the wall behind the plasterboard at the back of the hole. I've got a powerful fan in the bathroom and we always shower with the window open. The hole is directly above the heated towel rail in there so I'm hoping it won't be the coldest spot in the room - that'll presumably be the window on the adjoining wall. Although, what I might do is dig out a little channel at the bottom of the hole, angled down from the back of the hole to the front with a little down spout that lets out beneath the cover on the wall, so that if any condensation collects into actual droplets in the hole they can find their way down and out of the hole and onto the bathroom wall so they will be immediately visible. Alexa's aren't particularly cold appliances so it's more likely going to be the wall that gets the condensation on it, isn't it, if at all? So hopefully she'll be ok - unless the steam causes a problem. I'll monitor carefully. The hole itself is going to be a bit bigger than it looks there - I'm putting a rectangular 6 by 12 inch cover on and I need to build out that wall by 3cms so there will be a 3 cm 6x12" hole before the grate in front of that hole that's already there and the grate cover is quite open. I'll keep a close eye though!! Thank you so much - I'm glad that was brought to my attention so I could cut out the channel at this stage instead of after it's all plastered and painted!! I'm just pondering on putting a waterproof barrier beneath the cover... I'll try it and see how it affects the sound...

Which Alexa model is it? The echo dot has a fabric covering which will get moist from the steam of a shower regardless of cold surface condensation. Wouldn't be surprised if that grows mould on it after some time.

Which Alexa model is it? The echo dot has a fabric covering which will get moist from the steam of a shower regardless of cold surface condensation. Wouldn't be surprised if that grows mould on it after some time.
Hm... Listening to you guys I'm wondering how sensible this idea is. I'll do it anyway as an experiment and report back. I'll possibly be very sad that I've destroyed my Alexa!!

The "considerable debater" seems to be (at least temporarily) absent from the forum ;)

Kind Regards, John

How about a polysytrene 'collar' around the inside of the hole and a polystyrene patch on the back wall.
Should reduce any condensation forming in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back