Bathroom electric socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have been reading the electrical regulations and would just like your professional advice to confirm.

In our bathroom the bath is positioned lengthways along the side wall. On the far wall next to the bath is the sink with vanity unit. The sink and vanity unit run upto an extruded wall of about 400mm in front of which is the toilet. We currently have an electric shower and extractor fan in the bathroom and the feed for these runs in trunking just below the ceiling, it starts at pull switches for the fan and shower then runs to each device and along the ceiling above the sink.

What usually happens is an extension lead is taken under the door into the bathroom to run a hair drier, tongs or other similar appliance. It has been requested that a socket is fitted in the bathroom.

I have been browsing the regs and my understanding is that a socket can be installed provided it is at a certain distance from the bath/shower and is a sensitive trip type.

I was thinking the ideal location would be in the vanity unit under the sink on the far side which is well into zone 2 (more than 0.6m away from the bath). This then needs to have a 30ma breaker on it. The socket would be fed from the supply feeding the extractor fan, some trunking would be extended down from the trunking above the sink, through the top of the vanity unit (tiled - waterproof) to the socket, the hole made waterproof.

Is this compliant or is there a major flaw in my thinking.

Thanks,

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Socket-outlets must be located not less than 3 meters horizontally from the boundary of zone 1 as well as being protected by a 30mA RCD.

How far from the edge of the bath would the socket be located?

Hi,

The location inside the vanity cabinet would be 1100mm from the edge of the bath.

What about if the outdoor 'waterproof' type sockets were installed?

Thanks

Nope, 3 meters is the minimum distance from the edge of Zone 1 (edge of bath in this case).

Sponsored Links
Ip rated equipment doesn't allow it closer... the issue is that a socket outlet invites portable appliances regardless of the IP rating of the outlet.

AFAIK, the product standards call for hairdriers and the like to have a sub 3m flex... the reasoning being perhaps that if you have to go and fetch and extension cord, you will think about what you are doing and perhaps decide against using the hairdrier in the bath...

There is one other possible approach. I know of someone who did this. You have to do this via notification to the LABC, as the normal electrician schemes don't allow it. You find an electrician who is experienced in installing in Germany, and (after agreeing it with LABC), do the entire bathroom installation to VDE100. As this is a european standard there is no good reason for LABC to refuse, (though if they do it's more trouble than its worth to argue).

Anyway, then you can fit a number of schuko sockets in your bathroom perfectly legally. You'd need a few german plugs to go in the sockets, but you can pick them up in any Baumarkt, next time you're in Germany.

There is one other possible approach. I know of someone who did this. You have to do this via notification to the LABC, as the normal electrician schemes don't allow it. You find an electrician who is experienced in installing in Germany, and (after agreeing it with LABC), do the entire bathroom installation to VDE100. As this is a european standard there is no good reason for LABC to refuse, (though if they do it's more trouble than its worth to argue).

Anyway, then you can fit a number of schuko sockets in your bathroom perfectly legally. You'd need a few german plugs to go in the sockets, but you can pick them up in any Baumarkt, next time you're in Germany.
¿Que?

So the £86 hair dryer is ok to install in a bathroom - it says "• Connection with plug (soft wire) " how is this different to installing a socket with a highly sensitive trip?

At work we have a hair dryer probably 1000mm away from the sink. It is wired into a plate on the wall which says 'lobito' (or something like that) and it has two buttons on it one which says test and the other reset.

So would it be within regs to install a 'lobito' socket in my waterproof vanity unit with a hair dryer hard wired into it?

Well there are plenty of good reasons to have a socket in the bathroom, first being an extension lead under the bathroom door is a trip hazard in the hall for other residents.

PS. Whats LABC ?

The £86 hairdryer would need connecting to a fused connection unit, not a plug and socket. RCD protection would also be required either directly at the FCU or before the new piece of cable you install to supply the FCU if it's going to be concealed at less than 50mm from the surface of the plaster. Ideally at the origin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back