Artex, how to identify possible asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1985/6 house (think built by bovis homes) what’s the chance of Artex containing asbestos?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
*if you shine a light where points have come off it’s got tiny shiny bits in
No, sorry. You send it to be tested. In the UK laboratories are accredited by UKAS, a government appointed organisation for various things like testing, assessing, certifying and calibrating. The categories they cover are numerous and extensive but you can find the list of organisations they've accredited for asbestos testing here:

For artex you'd need to take scrapings from around 4 different areas of the same ceiling and send it off for analysis. If you're in the UK you'll need to use a UKAS accredited lab. You can do it yourself using an asbestos testing kit (https://asbestos-sampling.com/)

Last edited:
Don't scrape, hack off some big lumps to minimise dust. Dab a bit of paint over after, to seal the surface. Put a bit of polythene over the floor first to catch any dust. Don't hoover it. Wear a disposable mask.

We've got assorted artex from the same sort of time. I had various samples tested. I found that the spikier stuff does contain asbestos, the more wobbly stuff that looks like thick paint doesn't. A relative who was a builder at the time it was removed remembers the artexers complaining when it was removed, as it didn't shape as well after the change. It was there as reinforcing fibres, which helped hold the shape.

But they're probably all dead now, after years of mixing the powder with a whisk.

Our Artex is swirly

Some rooms the points down are larger than others

Also weirdly some rooms have joiners between the ceiling and walls and some don’t (can’t have been removed as the Artex has a paintbrush mark that goes around the edges and the rooms with the boards in the ceiling have it and the ones without the boards also have the paintbrush marks but against the wall where those wooden boards should’ve been

IMG_9534.jpeg

The pattern is irrelevant.

That looks like it's asbestos-free. But definitely do not take my word for it.

From what I've seen in my house, the newer stuff has rounded peaks like yours, the older stuff is spiky, you'd actually hurt yourself if you dragged your hand over it.

Okay, thank you

I’ll get it tested, I wanted to do it this weekend but ran out of time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back