Artex ......... oh dear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, we have decide to decorate our lounge and have stripped the walls back ready for plastering using our trusty steamer. While I was steaming the paper off and removing some horrible polystyrene coving (compliments of the previous occupiers) , I noticed a hairline crack across the ceiling from one wall to the other. This is dead straight right across. I then notice another one so I measured from the wall to the first line, 21 inches, then from that line to the next which also measured 21 inches. I looked a further 21 inches and can see a very slight line although not cracked, but these cracks and lines appear at exactly 21 inches apart across the whole ceiling. The worst crack actually flexes when I press on it and I can feel/hear it tap the original ceiling underneath. I have a feeling that perhaps the ceiling has been lined in the past with wallpaper and that the artex has simply been put on over the top ( unless you guys have any other suggestions)

Should I.......

1. Leave it alone ( it may have been done to hide something much worse)
2. Remove it completely

If removal is recommended, what is the best way. I would rather do it as cheaply as possible so any tricks of the trade would be most welcomed. I have also read somewhere that although there may be asbestos in the artex, it is normally well below any dangerous levels, but again I hoping you can advise

Thanks for reading
Ads

Sponsored Links
Given that Artex is now about as fashionable as a 70’s flairs & Tank Tops, you have to decide if you want to be rid of it altogether or live with the cracks. I have removed it with a steamer in the past but now normally plaster over it which is possible if it’s sound & your plasterer knows what he’s about. If, however, you’re correct about the wallpaper under the Artex, plastering over will not be possible, it’ll have to come off. The paper may come off easy taking the Artex with it but chances are the ceiling beneath will need re-plastering. Or it could be a complete pain & if the paper was stuck directly onto the plasterboard (assuming that’s what it is), chances are you’ll end up ruining it & it’ll have to be replaced or over boarded & replastered (use 12.5mm square edge plasterboard); over boarding may be the easiest/best solution in your case. So it could be a relatively simple job or one that entails replacing/over boarding the ceiling; it’s a difficult call to make without actually seeing it.

There are no safe levels of exposure to asbestos but the type/quantity used in Artex is classed as low risk. It’s best left alone which is why I normally plaster over it but it does not require a license to remove. As long as you’re sensible, wear a suitable mask & use a steamer or water to remove it you should have no problems. If it’s stipple pattern, knock the peaks off with a flat bladed garden spade as this will allow the steam/water to penetrate but it’s a messy job. Be careful when using a steamer, if you leave it in one place too long it will over heat the plaster & it will blow off the wall. Don’t start sanding Artex it & it must be disposed of at an licensed council tip which will charge.

Thanks for your help and advice on this one. Garden spade!, never thought of that. I sounds a bit "heath Robinson " but makes sense at it will have the reach and the weight behind it. I will let you know how I get on. Ive now got to convince her indoors that it's got to go. :)

Your only using the spade to knock the peaks off so the water/steam can get in under the paint, don’t start trying to scrape the Artex off with it!

Garden spades are also good for removing plaster & tiles :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have actually been able to almost tear it off with the wallpaper underneath in big chunks and strips so have been quite lucky. Thanks for the tip about the spade will probably use it in the future should something similar crop up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back