Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the experts views on getting rid of an artex ceiling?

Should you remove the artex first and then plaster, or just plaster over it? Are there advantages, disadvantages, what is the norm?

My wife is concerned that if it is just plastered over, then the extra thickness will impact the new blinds we have just had made, that go up to the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
If pattern not too deep skim over the top any little bumps take off with scraper but use ppe and seal entrances but if low count don’t worry too much but once dust settles hoover to remove traces etc

Oh artex can’t be blown badly as your adding weight just not much really but if you pay for a plasterer they won’t guarantee work over artex I don’t think as I wouldn’t

Sponsored Links
Get a wood chisel and get the artex off just around where blinds are

Then skim over. This will keep the level the same give or take 1mm.

Test for asbestos... Just in case unless it's been done in last 25 years or so.

I've had this blind problem many times in windows . Just take a bit longer getting it off. And the sides because of the width of rail

I'm buying a property in a block of flats in Gloucestershire, built in 1998 with Artex ceilings, definitely no asbestos. How much should I expect to pay to cover over 75 square metres or 800 square feet of Artex?

Last edited:
I'm buying a property in a block of flats in Gloucestershire, built in 1998 with Artex ceilings, definitely no asbestos. How much should I expect to pay to cover over 75 square metres or 800 square feet of Artex?
£10 a square metre maybe as a guide. Around here in Gloucestershire rates aren't that high imo Vs other parts of UK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back