Asbestos in my loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Bought a new house. We have a loft room with storage around the sides. I was keenly about to start boarding it but found an old pipe by the doorway.

Anyone know if this is asbestos?

Any if it is can I safely remove it? I was considering sealing it in a couple of bin liners and taking to the tip (payable waste)... Or is this a ridiculous idea?

I would ignore it but its in the way so would be really useful to go round this if possible.

I have no idea and despite googling haven't managed to find much more out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_1466.JPG
    DSC_1466.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Testing is the only way too be sure, but it does look like an asbestos cement flue. You can find the official advice from the HSE online how to deal with it yourself.
It basically boils down to if you do need to remove it, put decent ppe on first, spray the area with water, wrap it twice without breaking it at all, then remove to a disposal place.
Finally remove the ppe and dispose too. You can clean up by wetting first.
Make your own mind up how far you need to clean up the area!

as you suggested double bag it and take it down the tip it must also be clearly labled.

99% sure it's asbestos AC, bear in mind that any rope in the joints may be an even higher asbestos content.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back