Asbestos in Post 2000 New Builds

Sponsored Links
Art in texture =artex I was told
Further to my previous comment, I realised that I flippantly broke a fundamental rule of mine. I don't repeat or claim anything without verifying. It , as far as possible. (I learnt the "fact" during asbestos Removal training, and it now occurred to me that I was taking this on one mans word). It totally hacks me off when people copy (garbage) posts and memes which are blatantly wrong or simply propaganda. So I apologise for that.

In fairness to you, I decided to do a bit of digging.

These 2 websites support my comment (there are many others)

This one mentions the "art" connection as an alternative:

Still not convinced to my satisfaction, especially having seen the last site, I looked at ARTEX on companies house. I wasn't even sure the product or name still existed. I discovered that the company os owned by St. Gobain (Jewsons etc). I found their website, and lo and behold:
The Artex name was created by two words – artistic and texture, reflecting the creative nature of the product.

I am still not entirely convinced, even with that resounding win for you. Saint Gobain bought Artex in 2004, and they may have been misinformed, or felt it prudent to attempt to whitewash the history.

If you want to get... Well.. A bit wound up.. Look up Christopher booker artex asbestos.
He wrote for the telegraph around 2008 on asbestos in artex. Not sure what you will make of it and I chatted to a farmer regarding this who had interest, plus wrote about asbestos in farming mag. @FiremanT
See what you make of it

If you want to get... Well.. A bit wound up.. Look up Christopher booker artex asbestos.
Ahh, yes Christopher Booker - climate change deniaist and someone with such peerless scientific knowledge that he asserted in print that chrysotile (white asbestos) is "chemically identical to talcum powder"... (close, but no banana)

He's the sort of person you'd want to send to remove asbestos, without PPE, or maybe just sent to work in a talcum mine - after all it's completely harmless, isn't it? George Monbiot's opinion of Booker must be almost unprintable. Booker is the worst form of trash journalist, IMHO, but the Torygraph is just as bad if not worse, for publishing his tripe

This article on Wordlpress sort of says it all

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
He wrote for the telegraph around 2008 on asbestos in artex. Not sure what you will make of it and I chatted to a farmer regarding this who had interest, plus wrote about asbestos in farming mag. @FiremanT
See what you make of it
I remember a little about this from before, but I tried to read the original article in the Telegraph. It seems impossible without agreeing to a subscription.

TBH, this IS the type of thing that winds me up. "Journalists" and "experts" writing nonsense, knowing that, in the internet age, their weird views will gain traction and credence because of most (?) peoples lack of critical analysis ability. Rather, they take everything that chimes wit their current mindset and repeat it mindlessly.

With regard to "Journalism", I noted many years ago that I have never seen an wholly accurate report of any subject that I actually know about. My first inkling of this was back in the early '80's when I attended, as a resident, our village monthly council meeting. God, it was tedious!. The local Journo was obviously bored to distraction as when I read her account of the main item in our local newspaper, I did not recognise any of it.

My disdain fir the press was confirmed, again many years ago, when 2 newspapers published an identical photo of Princess Diana and her generous cleavage. The accompanying stories in each publication were complete opposites. The Daily Mail offering a largely positive angle, in favour of PD, the other massively negative. At least one of the stories had to be a lie and ,in fact, both were probably fabrications based on hearsay. There was no real story in either, tbh, they just had to have some commentary on the photo

Chris Booker (and his mate Biddle) seems to have gone to extreme lengths to get his byline in print.. Why in earth would a mainstream "respectable" newspaper be a party to his ramblings - and not just on the subject of Asbestos?

My other pet hate is Forum contributors going on and on............................;);)

My other pet hate is Forum contributors going on and on............................;);)
The problem is that articles such as those in the Torygraf have resonance with people who read it in the paper and therefore assume it is true - think about how many times you've read comments on social media or the 'net such as "MDF is toxic", "MDF has been banned in America" or even the old favourite "MDF is the next asbestos" (all completely false, but all from that august and well informed publication the Daily Mail - and they never get it wrong). All of these can be disproved by about 10 minutes of intelligent Googling and reading - if you know what you are looking for.

Asbestos is one of those modern bogey men. People either don't understand it and are terrified of it - or they are ignorant and gung-ho. It's the latter who I am wary of, especially the guy who recommends scraping off Artex or the one who recommends vacuuming-up the dust, both of which are no-nos in my book. But then, I've now gone on a bit too much...
Again... :sleep:

Cheers Wayne's,
That's the burning question
Is there asbestos post 2000 then ??????
I don't know about in the UK, but there was a scandal in Australia a few years back when asbestos was found in a new-build hospital.

When I built a house in the early 70's I had all the ceilings artext as it was a cheaper alternative to skimming.
A local young P &D did the work and my overiding memory was coming home from work and seeing a snowman like figure with only 2 eyes and some lips visible.
He is still alive kicking.

It's hit and miss. Some people work all their life with the stuff and never get ill - others have a few weeks contact and die young.

...and just a little link, relating to asbestos; here's a fascinating collection of asbestos images - check out Asbestorama!

Sponsored Links
Back