Asbestos Soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I know you will not be able to tell me 100% if it is or isn't asbestos but thought it would be worth a shot.

My house was built in the first half of the 80's and we are think about having our fasica, soffit and guttering changed to plastic.

One of the soffits has cracked so I would like to know what material the current soffit board is.

I have attached some pictures hope they can help a little.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sorry but it looks highly likely to be asbestos perhaps even AIB which is a job for a licenced professional only.

Only way I'm afraid is bite the bullet and get it tested, you might be lucky and find it's a non asbestos board but given the age it's too much of a risk not to get it checked.

Don't trust the soffit company to test it or just go ahead.

I had some soffits tested on a mid 80's built house and they were ok, but I didn't tell the installers just to see what they did, they turned up, no masks and smashed it to blazes I asked them if they knew wether it was asbestos and got the usual moronic oh it's not that dangerous! I think he realised I wasn't happy!

Hope it turns out to be good news for you.

Regards,
footprints

Sorry but it looks highly likely to be asbestos perhaps even AIB which is a job for a licenced professional only.

Only way I'm afraid is bite the bullet and get it tested, you might be lucky and find it's a non asbestos board but given the age it's too much of a risk not to get it checked.

Don't trust the soffit company to test it or just go ahead.

I had some soffits tested on a mid 80's built house and they were ok, but I didn't tell the installers just to see what they did, they turned up, no masks and smashed it to blazes I asked them if they knew wether it was asbestos and got the usual moronic oh it's not that dangerous! I think he realised I wasn't happy!

Hope it turns out to be good news for you.

Regards,
footprints

How much did it cost you to have it tested?
Also can anyone point me in the direction to a company that test for asbestos.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
About £80 to call out and £20 per sample, but it will vary according to where you are, e.g. central London or in the sticks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back