Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been doing a few jobs up in the loft and found a few sheets of Asbestos, so broke them up into smaller pieces put them in a bin liner and took them to the dump, guess what, i got told that they could not accept it, hence, i returned home still complete with the bags.

Any ideas how i am supposed to get rid of this material that seems to be a plague to everyone that steps near it. I think some of these laws and regulations make me more sick then the possible results of lung disease etc which i agree is possible from the material itself, but nowhere near as dangerous as driving down the M1 in a car, or walking to the local shops, yet we still drive cars, don't we.

Sponsored Links
cazmick said:
Just been doing a few jobs up in the loft and found a few sheets of Asbestos, so broke them up into smaller pieces put them in a bin liner and took them to the dump, guess what, i got told that they could not accept it, hence, i returned home still complete with the bags.
They should've advise you what to do and normally give you a phone number to stop the fly tipping! Ring your local council for waste material dept and they will advise you.

Hope you wore a good dustmask when breaking up your sheets, depending on how old they are, the fibres released can be very nasty.

Sponsored Links
Believe you need a "Licensed asbestos disposal contractor"
They have a national organization,so probably have a website.
(There's a van parks up my street from Tyne Tees Demolition,who belong to the association,which is how I've heard of it)

Be careful about giving the council your name and address, they may want to look in your loft and will make a right meal out it. Use a good mask damp down the area and completely clean it up.

I would put it in a bag then in the bin, a bit at a time if need be. I know you shouldn't, but they bury most rubbish anyway.

check with the gut down the dump. most council dumps will take it provided its double bagged. they normally have a large lockable blue container for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back