Assisted suicide...

I didn't watch the programme, only the Newsnight special afterwards, but I can see that it's a tricky business.

The problem, as I see it, is that you can't win. :( :( :( Imagine that you can see your future and it isn't very nice. You contemplate a quick end but, because that future hasn't happened yet, you shouldn't really do it. :confused: :confused: :confused: So you wait until your life really isn't worth living, only to find that you're incapable of doing anything about it - and anybody who tries to help you will be breaking the law. Merely travelling with you to Switzerland could be construed as a criminal act. :eek: :eek: :eek: (That's a blatant attempt to impose British law in another country and it's arrogant in the extreme - but I digress.)

Oddly enough, doctors do have one way out of this mess but it's even worse. They can, quite legally, discontinue all treatment and watch you die a slow death from dehydration. What kind of crazy situation is that? Hippocrates would turn in his grave! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Incidentally, does anybody know why you have to go all the way to Switzerland when euthanasia is also legal in Holland? :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
i understand the difficulty in sactioning such an act.... how do you prove someone is of sound mind? and how do you check the intentions of the person who aids them? it's a mine field and you need to be 100% sure before it can become law.

On the question of becoming incapable of making the decision to end it.... maybe you agree a test to prove your sanity and if you fail you die... so whilst Compos Mentis you agree that when you can't say the safe word (archimedes), or recite the 13 times table, or you forget that your favourite band is Pink Floyd, you get given the poison potion?

If you forget Pink Floyd you should be put to sleep anyway.

Awaits the abuse.

Sponsored Links
The Swiss were once famous for watches and cuckoo clocks - now they are famous for stopping your ticker.

I think this country should get a grip, there is a valuable source of income to be had by assisted suicide and of course the increase in employment is two fold ;)

imamartian said:
maybe you agree a test to prove your sanity and if you fail you die... so whilst Compos Mentis you agree that when you can't say the safe word (archimedes), or recite the 13 times table, or you forget that your favourite band is Pink Floyd, you get given the poison potion?

Joking aside, you might be onto something there. :idea: :idea: :idea: Maybe you've watched one of those TV documentaries that shows somebody unable to walk or talk or even feed themselves and said "If I ever get like that I hope somebody shoots me!" So you set the conditions in advance which, with the agreement of two independent doctors (I think that's the rule in Holland), will allow them to end your misery.

imamartian said:
maybe you agree a test to prove your sanity and if you fail you die... so whilst Compos Mentis you agree that when you can't say the safe word (archimedes), or recite the 13 times table, or you forget that your favourite band is Pink Floyd, you get given the poison potion?

Joking aside, you might be onto something there. :idea: :idea: :idea: Maybe you've watched one of those TV documentaries that shows somebody unable to walk or talk or even feed themselves and said "If I ever get like that I hope somebody shoots me!" So you set the conditions in advance which, with the agreement of two independent doctors (I think that's the rule in Holland), will allow them to end your misery.

This is why i think it's important to think carefully about this. However, even if you have your chosen question/safe word, but unfortunatley you're struck down with paralysis, and are unable to speak... you might get asked the safe question and know the answer, but just can't say it....

I watched it.

It was gob-smackingly moving to see this guy calmly drink the barbiturates, then thank everybody there and shake TP's hand, calling them all "first-class".

It was shocking to see him plead for water as he was slipping into unconsciousness.

Good on his wife. She held it together very well, and stroked Mr S's hand after he drank the meds.

I tell you something. I don't think I could walk into a room, sign a bit of paper then kill myself with Mrs Secure sitting next to me.

As TP suggested, my hand would be shaking like mad. I wouldn't be able to do it, I'm too much of a coward.

What a guy. RIP.

The alternative is, if a young 17 yo, would entertain, a gentleman, that his dying wish, and she performs, the the will is left to her...It's his dying wish...he likes that...that's what he wanted.

Go to bed Mick. Job hunting for you in the morning.

Sponsored Links
Back