At least you can rely on Starmer to stick to his pledge.

See post #8. I already addressed this. The whole point is the government of the day can incentivise courses that add value to society.

Sponsored Links
I didn't have to assume anything...

It was mottie/motman who said it himself

Linky Linky
Thanks for that link. I don’t know what you studied at uni but it sure as **** wasn’t irony!

FWIW, the degree educated academic decided to leave before I concluded my quality assurance investigation. Many students had to retake their assessments.

Sponsored Links
University education was massively extended by thatcher, on the face of it to extend higher education opportunities to more people, in reality to hide the loss of jobs for 16/18 year olds following her decimation of the industrial economy and the jobs it provided. It was inevitable that the new uni's would mass produce courses like media studies to attract people who didn't/couldn't want to study science or engineering. Many new uni's were taking on students even if they failed their A Levels before the govt realised that didn't look great. People buy degrees now i.e. the amount you pay you expect to pass at the very least, there are still high drop out rates in may uni's.

Blup

The Student loan issue is pretty complicated, see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes/

Yes have lower fees for what the country needs. Judge by the demand - so, not all sciences. Not Forensic Science, for example, we only need about 3 a year.
It's tempting to say let nurses and medics train free as long as they stay in this country, but constraints like that can be counterproductive.

Yuh I heard Starmer on the radio. Sounds straight, but then so does Gove. Equally charismatic.

Bring back Two-Jags.

University education was massively extended by thatcher, on the face of it to extend higher education opportunities to more people, in reality to hide the loss of jobs for 16/18 year olds following her decimation of the industrial economy and the jobs it provided. It was inevitable that the new uni's would mass produce courses like media studies to attract people who didn't/couldn't want to study science or engineering. Many new uni's were taking on students even if they failed their A Levels before the govt realised that didn't look great. People buy degrees now i.e. the amount you pay you expect to pass at the very least, there are still high drop out rates in may uni's.

Blup
indeed to massage the unemployment figures in the 70s and at least the early 80 encouraged people to go on the "sick " to reduce unemployment
politicians for short term gains have introduced disastrous policies like "right to buy " with out replacing housing stock then encouraging people to go on the sick"
stopping 16/17/ 18 year olds claiming benefits off any sort as there parents responsibility
giving overcrowded youngsters at extreme conflict with parents the only option off forming a family unit to become a high priority by getting pregnant not a good solution at all but the modern world we live in

indeed to massage the unemployment figures in the 70s and at least the early 80 encouraged people to go on the "sick " to reduce unemployment
politicians for short term gains have introduced disastrous policies like "right to buy " with out replacing housing stock then encouraging people to go on the sick"
stopping 16/17/ 18 year olds claiming benefits off any sort as there parents responsibility
giving overcrowded youngsters at extreme conflict with parents the only option off forming a family unit to become a high priority by getting pregnant not a good solution at all but the modern world we live in
Right to buy, the biggest con prior to brexhit.

Blup

Should the tax payer fund this development if the study provides little benefit to society? Or to phrase it another way..
It depends. Universities rarely spend money on studies that nobody is interested it.
And many discoveries are made as a result of research in relatively unrelated areas, ie Blue Sky Thinking (few people know the origins of this term and its relation to vacuum packaged food).

In world where we compete on a global scale, do we need more people with degrees in:
Gender and politics or Biology?
All are important topics. Biology has proved to be very useful in recent years.

Free university = asking a stranger to fund your education. So what is the return on their investment? Or is it ok for you to learn about whatever you fancy while they work and pay taxes to pay for it?

There is nothing random about the idea at all. The state could simply subsidise courses that it deemed to be a good return on the investment.

It’s no different to a points system for skilled immigrants applying for work visas.

Your argument for direct taxation is about as dumb as your support for Brexit. So those people who don't use cars fund road usage, but they benefit from the roads - how else do they get their goods?

You need to go back to school with your Ayn Rand rubbish.

I don’t know too many professors who are wealthy CEOs. But I know plenty of super wealthy CEOs who don’t have degrees.

Education level is not a measure of intelligence.

That great perspective of your own beliefs.

Tell me how many uneducated people made scientific discoveries like penicillin, RNA sequencing etc

Thanks for that link. I don’t know what you studied at uni but it sure as **** wasn’t irony!
Thanks for clearing up the fact that you now hide behind the 'irony' label when you always talk b ollux...

Troll on, troll on!
(y)

Tell me how many uneducated people made scientific discoveries like penicillin, RNA sequencing etc

Here is a starter for your list:
The Wright Brothers - Aeroplanes
Micheal Faraday - Electromagnetism, the electric motor etc.
John Glenn - First American in space
Gregor Mendel - Genetics
Mary Anning - Dinosaurs
Henry Ford - revolutionised car production/assembly line
Macdonalds Brothers fast food etc. etc.

40% of self-made millionaires are dyslexic against a general population of 10%

and I didn't need to dust off my 1st class degree to find any of that - ChatGPT helped. ChatGPT.., controlled by Microsoft. Founder Bill Gates, University drop out.

Sponsored Links
Back