At risk of splitting or normal???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

May be a numb question but I just want to be sure...

I’ve just had some timber delivered from a merchant and one of the pressure treated 6x2s has cracking that runs along length but also through the centreline.

I know cracking is common as wood dries out but is this the same or is it liable to split over time because it passes through the centre if I use it?

It is for the seat bearers and legs on a picnic bench and will be bolted using carriage bolts so I don’t want it to open up along its length and fail anytime soon.

I’ve never thought much about it before as usually selected wood myself so just avoided cracked pieces.

Mike

Some images for info:

Sponsored Links
its with the grain so won't effect strength to any great extent
but from a practical point off view a vertical use will stop water and dirt collecting in the crack

Yes, it is prone to split.
In fact, if you cut a foot off the length, you could probably split it with your hands.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back