At the pumps...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the way home tonight I had to fill up the car.

We have amoney off voucher for Tesco so I was only going to half fill and fill again at the weekend with the voucher.

The first petrol station I came too had NO lead free except for the premium stuff at 107.9!!

The second had all pumps available, so I started to put in the petrol. I only wanted £20 so watched the dial carefully, at £19.89 I let it creep up a penny at a time (anal I know but I only wanted a certain amount).

When I had £20 I stopped and replaced the nozzle and went to pay, checking the display before I left. When I came to pay the cashier asked for £20.01!!!!!!!! the display had crept up a penny. I argued that I only put in £20 and the extra penny was a fault with the pump but he would not entertain it.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, has it happened to anyone else????

Imagine the extra profit they are making by doing this little trick hundreds or thousands of times a day over the whole country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Give me your address and I'll post you the penny.

Try as I might and shake it off inside, I cannot help some petrol spilling out of the nozzle onto the floor as I put it back in the holder. As well as the fire hazard, the waste upsets me.

You remember Not The Nine O'Clock News?

The guy filling his car up. After he had replaced the nozzle, Rowan Atkinson presses a button & it adds a penny on!

Sponsored Links
Yet again Joe manages not to grasp the concept.

The machinery is faulty, doesn't matter if its a penny or a pound its the principle.

The machinery is faulty, doesn't matter if its a penny or a pound its the principle.
Wrong.

When you shake the nozzle in the hole (ooh-err) some petrol keeps flowing. Now, the important thing is that no more is being dispensed by the pump. This is a given. However, the measurement device inside the pump experiences changes in pressure when you replace the nozzle in its cradle. This may only manifest itself when you get to the kiosk, or even after you drive off.

It happens when you fill up to "£20.00" but have gone some way up to the threshold with "£20.01". The small amount of jiggling with the hose can cause a little movement in the pump, which tips it onto the penny. They are very sensitive devices.

Doncaster council were out the other day, testing samples of petrol at Morrisons, I guess for measuring accuracy as they had stainless steel containers which looked almost clinical :)

By the way, the forecourts dont like you filling up from the wrong side.

Why?

Because then you can drain ALL the petrol from the hose, FOC :LOL: But then they're guarranteed to charge you a penny extra! :LOL:

Nah, only joking, the cutoff is in the nozzle itself, so only the petrol in the nozzle that you've paid for can be shaken out :LOL:

They still dont like the filling up from the wrong side though, H&S and all that :LOL:

I often see folk at the petrol station lift the hose in an attempt to drain the loop that hangs down between the pump and their car.

Never fails to ammuse me :D

Nah, only joking, the cutoff is in the nozzle itself, so only the petrol in the nozzle that you've paid for can be shaken out

but you said you can't shake it out as it will cost an extra penny ? :eek:

but you said you can't shake it out as it will cost an extra penny ? :eek:
Nono, your being charged an extra penny depends on the sensitivity of the pump and the amount of manhandling of the hose after you finish pumping. And of course, how close you are to the next penny. :cool:

Any petrol after the cutoff in the nozzle is yours outright. Its your decision whether to shake it out! ;)

you know its good practice to shake afterwards or you could end up with a dribble. ;)

Daz66 said:
This is not the first time this has happened to me, has it happened to anyone else?
Yes. But I'm saving up all the stories so that one day I can write a novel. :rolleyes:

Wrong.

When you shake the nozzle in the hole (ooh-err) some petrol keeps flowing. Now, the important thing is that no more is being dispensed by the pump. This is a given. However, the measurement device inside the pump experiences changes in pressure when you replace the nozzle in its cradle. This may only manifest itself when you get to the kiosk, or even after you drive off.

It happens when you fill up to "£20.00" but have gone some way up to the threshold with "£20.01". The small amount of jiggling with the hose can cause a little movement in the pump, which tips it onto the penny. They are very sensitive devices.

Doncaster council were out the other day, testing samples of petrol at Morrisons, I guess for measuring accuracy as they had stainless steel containers which looked almost clinical :)

Read the post Crafty, I had replaced the nozzle, checked the amount and then went in to pay.

When I left the pump it read £20.00, when it was rung up on the till it was £20.01.

Explain that one. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back