I'm Paranoid...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...about petrol pumps!

A while back I joked that the guy behind the desk could add a penny onto your bill when you finished filling up.

Well, yesterday I filled up the van. I parked with the filler furthest from the pump, so had to walk with the nozzle round to the filler. So I put in £48.00 exactly, slowing up on the approach so that when it turned from 47.99 - 48.00, I stopped immediately.

All the while I watched the display. It continued to show 48.00 as I lifted the nozzle out of the filler. I stood there for a few seconds. Still 48.00.

So I walked back to the pump. Still 48.00. Then, as I put the nozzle back in the cradle, it changed to 48.01.

I swear they're adding it on!!

Tell me I'm not a paranoid old anal-retentive! ;)

Sponsored Links
They have a nudge button under the desk, happens to me frequently.
And what gets me is most of them, will give you the change out of a twenty pound note, even if you have just put sixty pounds in.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Tell me I'm not a paranoid old anal-retentive! ;)
You're paranoid! :D

A 'long long time ago' (sounds like a song!), I worked in a Petrol Station Secures. It happened all the time way back then. God knows whether the 'Powers that be' have a Nudge Button but there certainly wasn't one in the kiosk when I was a lad.

BP stand for ,
Bump Penny on.

Blas, when you were a lad they had to pump it up with a stirrup pump so could easily go over :LOL: :LOL:

Now I really am paranoid!

I filled up the van today, but not at my usual BP. It was receiving a delivery, so I went to a nearby Esso.

Put 47 quid in, stopped the pump as soon as it reached 47.00. Shook the nozzle, lifted it out and walked back slowly to the pump. As soon as I put the nozzle back into the holster, it went up to 47.02.... :cry:

What is going on??

Hate to say this Securespark but maybe you've had a few to many 240 volters and developed a "bit of a twitch". Try stopping at £39.97 on a £40.00 top up and if it goes up to over £40.00 try Warrington Hospitals Rectal department, it won't stop the twitch but it will take your mind off the paranioa about being done :LOL:

I've not had an electric shock since age 9.

I shall indeed stop short of the round tenner & see what transpires: if I cannot be cured, I may well need hospital, but why Warrington?

Stepping Hill is closer.

I wonder how one would stand if when paying for the fuel insisting on paying only for the fuel that actually went in the vehicle, i.e. the amount shown when the nozzle was removed from the filler neck?

I have a jar full of loose change, I can post you the penny you are missing. :)

Life's way too short to ever worry about such things.....interesting though!

Sponsored Links
Back