Atag and Intergas - New to me

I want to make the house as efficient as possible (within reason) and as far as I understand utilising opentherm allows the evohome to govern and optimise the amount of gas used rather than simply cycling the boiler on and off. I believe this is also better for the health of the boiler?

Happy to be corrected though as it does seem my choices are rather limited...

Sponsored Links
You're not wrong.... And I have been nagging both Honeywell and IG to sort the issue out with OpenTherm for several years.

I've just switched my Eco RF (working as a system boiler) back to weather compensation as it works very well.

I've had issues with Atag on OpenTherm too, but can't comment fairly on the new versions.

I know the Ideal Vague and Vaillant (with the VR33) work well with Evohome, but I do still consider the Intergas to be a better boiler... The OpenTherm and turndown ratio are things I bite my tongue though :(.

According to both Honeywell and Atag, the new boilers work very well with Evohome - my preferred fitter is seeing if he can get registered with them. Otherwise may end up looking further at the vogue. It isn't easy finding feedback or reviews about any of these boilers either?

The house is a decent size (5 bed) with sealed system in S plan. Combi isn't an option, but can either stick with the current heat only set up or modify to system boiler.

Its just a pity there aren't any boilers marketed as Evohome compatible - seems such an untapped market (and one of the reasons I've found an installer keen to work with me).

Energy efficiency is only a part of the reason for OpenTherm, and with the introduction of inTouch it has less of a roll when hot water priority is utilised.

Get your installer to get in on the Facebook Installer network for Intergas and all will be revealed. @Razor900 might be able to help here too ;).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link, Dan.

The Thermostat is just that; it doesn't have any programming capabilities apart from a setback feature. I assume all programming is done using the app.

Surely the Evohome still offers more functionality?

Ultimately it is able to control the radiators - each acting as a thermostat in each zone and then the evohome also controls the boiler. Except with opentherm it doesn't just turn on and off, but controls the gas / heat needed to heat each room.

The intouch just looks like a fancier nest which adds zone thermostats and can regulate the boiler, but ultimately can't turn individual rooms up or down.

Having a larger house, what I'm looking to be able to do is to remotely turn individual rooms and parts of the house on and off and up and down. By combining this with opentherm I would also have the evohome matching the gas demand to the heat the rads are calling for.

InTouch is only single Zone.

But it does give you the remote monitoring and doesn't need to be used as a thermostat.

But again.... With Evohome and Intergas, there is little gain over weather compensation

I just don't see the point of doing half the job. I want to optimise the boiler while also being able to remotely control all elements.

For me OT is the best solution - the issue is finding the right boiler.

I'd have to agree with Dan on the weather comp... it's amazing how the house stays constant yet go outside when the wind has picked up/temp changed from the last time you went out and think... jeez, brrrrr!

I just don't see the point of doing half the job. I want to optimise the boiler while also being able to remotely control all elements.

For me OT is the best solution - the issue is finding the right boiler.

You don't understand what does what do you?

What are you thinking OT and Evohome does that weather compensation and Evohome doesn't?

My understanding is that OT + Evohome learns the house and then optimises the gas supply regardless of how many rooms are on and off and what temp each individual room is calling for.

With WC + Evohome, all Evohome can do is tell the boiler to switch on or off - it can't tell it how hard to work. Yes WC would control the boiler dependant on the outdoor temp, but it won't know if I'm trying to heat 1 room or 10 rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back