attaching plastic soilpipes to cast-ironpipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know how to attach plastic soilpipes onto cast iron soil pipes? I saw one that looked as though it had been heated first and then attached to the cast iron pipe but does anyone know how to do this?

Sponsored Links
Just done one of these. Smash the unwanted cast iron section out, careful not to damage the section needed. Using a chisel carve out the old lead from the cast iron pipe careful not to crack it, it's a long job but keep at it.
Then make sure it's all clean and down to the cast iron.
Use putty (plumbers mate) and make a sausage from it. Slide in the plastic pipe and use the sausage of putty to seal it in. Then pack more in. To finish off use a polysulphide one part sealant around the whole joint. Make sure there is no weight acting on the joint that might cause it to sag in hot weather. The polysulphide takes a long time to fully cure (5 weeks). Hope this helps.

OMG!!!

I know this is a DIY forum but plz!! Some of the replies :confused:

First of all be very careful when cracking out the old stack, any debris that falls down the sewer WILL block your drain!! So using an angle grinder grind the old pipe where you want to cut it, slide in a piece of card or plastic to stop the debris, then smash away!!

Heres the clever bit!! Any reputable plumbers merchant will sell a rubber socket with 2 worms drives attached. This will join cast to plastic!! The most common size being 4" plastic to 4" cast. I f yours is bigger or smaller measure it and they will help!!

:eek: sorry, forgot to mention the fact about catching all pieces of cast iron.

Sponsored Links
Fernco are good, but expensive.
A McAlpine connector called a DC1 will do the job. They come in black or grey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back