Attaching sink to plasterboard wall. Is this the wrong wall plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I purchased a new sink online and plan to fit it tomorrow.

It will be put on a plasterboard wall, but the fittings it arrived with look wrong.

I have attached an image of what it came with, but there were zero instructions included.

Is this type of fitting for a masonary wall?

If it is no good, please can you link me to something that would work.

Attachments

• 20221114_201545.jpg
    20221114_201545.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Surely you are not attaching to just the plasterboard?

Thats a masonry fitting.

Totally wrong!
If it’s wall mounted you’re going to need a different plan!
If on a pedestal get some plaster board plugs and a small dab of adhesive behind the basin!

Is it a stud wall ( plasterboard on timber )? Or plasterboard dot and dabbed onto masonry ?

Sponsored Links
I will clarify a little more.

The sink is rather large, but will be stood on a pedestal. The wall attachment will be to make sure its held closely to the wall.

The wall is timber and plasterboard.

Regardless of whether it's on a pedestal or not, I would always want the basin to be screwed into something substantial, wood or masonry anything less runs the risk of the basin getting pulled off the wall.
Some will think it's ok as the pedestal will hold the weight, but it's always best to consider worst case scenario and if the basin could be leaned on/ pulled forward or sideways by accident etc then it needs to hold, otherwise it's pulling itself straight out of the wall onto someone.

You need to find the wall Studs and then determine if the studs are wood or metal. Only fix into the studs.

You may need to cut an access hole into the plasterboard behind where you would like to fix the sink to find the studs and determine the the material. A hole just big enough to get your hand in.

Wood studs, probably are 70mm thick so use M6x80 wood screws as a minimum depending on how thick the sink fixings is.

Metal studs - hopefully others will advise.

But, I repeat only fix to the studs.

Metal studs - hopefully others will advise.

But, I repeat only fix to the studs.
For metal studs it is safest to cut out a section of plasterboard and fix a 15 to 18mm thick plywood or OSB patress between two of the studs using drywall screws, then replace the PB and make good. The sink it then screwed through the OB into the pattress using wood screws

If that isn't possible, you can attach to the MF stud using 4mm wood screws ,(as anything bigger than 4mm will normally not pierce the metal), but I'm not sure if 4mm screws, even with washers fitted, will be sufficient for the task

BTW I'm not a plumber (joiner) but on big jobs and refurbs this is the sort of thing we "wood butchers" get tasked to do

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back