Water and waste coming through plasterboard?

Couldn't agree more, always soldered copper wherever possible .... brass compression where it's hidden with no easy access .... personally I would avoid. One slight twist the wrong way then could be left with a leaking fitting where it can't be got at.

Not sure if the OP is using copper or plastic tho.

@robodelfy, when you then come out of the wall leave enough length so it can bend upwards before the valve and then add a pipe clip at that point then an ISO valve and then add another clip above it so you are clipping and supporting the valve and the pipe above and below.

Thanks I'll do that for where it comes out of the wall

As for the pipes, it's mostly copper, but I'm changing to plastic for where I'm running it into the wall, because it's a DIY job. I've also had a plumber over who said that would be fine. I am a little worried after your comments, but it seems push fit plastic fittings are used frequently under floor boards and hidden. Like the over 20 year old one I revealed which is fine. I know that's just one case.

I'm also fitting the little clip/collars on all fittings so apparently they can't come off then....or it provides a lot more security

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Then a couple of normal iso valves versus full bore valves aint gonna make that much difference if the flexis are killing the flow.

Unless there is a problem with flow and pressure then I must admit, full bore on a toilet and basin isn't really needed IMO.

Most people don't need huge amounts of flow and pressure from the hot and cold in a basin or toilet. If there is then water tends to go everywhere and ISO's are invariably cranked down depending on what tap is used to stop it or the taps have aerators/restrictors to save water. Toilets also come with flow restrictors to keep the flow/noise down.

That being said, wouldn't do any harm.

If you prefer full bore valves then as said why not but they aren't a "must have" on most systems.

So you would say its a must to fit full bore valves when installing a wash hand basin in the basement of a three storey town house with a tank in the loft ?;) they have their place but I would not fit them as standard.

Most properties are not three story or have a basement.

Also would you agree they are a better quality than a standard isolation valve?

Andy

I would say they are a 'must' on a gravity system. ;)

Andy
This is the trouble with sweeping statements , there is always an exception :) yes full bore valves are better quality and I would certainly recommend them but they are not must haves on most systems, I think it was dialiao that posted "use full bore valves" made it sound like it was mandatory and I was pointing out they aren't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back