Australia reads the riot act to muslim groups

gentoo said:
English speaking foriners should have to learn the main language when living abraod.
I can't see that idea catching on - what's wrong with shouting very slowly?

Sponsored Links
gentoo said:
I agree with that they should dinounce any terrorist attacks made in the name of Allah (that's if they don't already). Also about speaking English. Should go both ways though, English speaking foriners should have to learn the main language when living abraod.

Absolutely right. Our ex-pats are as guilty of the enclave mentality as any group of people who have migrated here.

Going to live in someone elses country and not bothering to learn the language is just downright rude.

baldy01 said:
Going to live in someone elses country and not bothering to learn the language is just downright rude.
Really? Do you consider the mother of an immigrant family, who is too old and frail to take on a new language as well as new surroundings, to be "rude"? Is your world that blank and white?

Softus said:
baldy01 said:
Really? Do you consider the mother of an immigrant family, who is too old and frail to take on a new language as well as new surroundings, to be "rude"? Is your world that blank and white?

You've very good at this. Find an example of an exception to someones argument and then use that to disprove their entire argument.

Sorry I didn't add an appendix listing all classes of exemptions from my argument. I assumed that any intelligent person would take it as a given that the deaf-mute the downs sufferer the people with learning disabilites the autistic the old and dying etc normally get given a bit more leeway than the normal run of people. Prehaps I gave you too much credit?

Sponsored Links
baldy01 said:
You've very good at this. Find an example of an exception to someones argument and then use that to disprove their entire argument.
If you feel that your entire argument has been disproved that easily, then my work here is done. However, I can't really take credit for destroying for what was such a weak argument in the first place, the weakness being illustrated by your use of sarcasm in the next sentence...

Sorry I didn't add an appendix listing all classes of exemptions from my argument. I assumed that any intelligent person would take it as a given that the deaf-mute the downs sufferer the people with learning disabilites the autistic the old and dying etc normally get given a bit more leeway than the normal run of people. Prehaps I gave you too much credit?
Boot/foot coordinate interpolation error, methinks. :rolleyes:

So where's the line? Does fear of the new, or a crisis of confidence, constitute an "exemption" in your hypothetical appendix? Is laziness the only culpible state of mind? Perhaps there should be a state attitude test for everyone entering:

"'Scuse me sir, your 'eart doesn't seem to be in this attempt to en'er the coun'ry, I'm going to 'ave to ask yous to leave."

Oh yes, I apologise for my error, I missed out the word "attempt".

Who said anything about the state? You do like to make things up and attribute them to other people don't you?

No one said the state should do anything about it, it was just a statement of opinion about how one should behave when migrating to a new country.

I'm sorry that you are, or appear to be, congenitaly unable to deal with people who's opinions differ from yours. But there it is, people won't always agree with you, its a fact of life that you'll have to learn to deal with.

baldy01 said:
Oh yes, I apologise for my error, I missed out the word "attempt".
Perhaps, but you made up for it with sarcasm.

Who said anything about the state? You do like to make things up and attribute them to other people don't you?
No; I used the word "state", not you. I used it in a parody to ridicule your opinion that people who didn't put learn a native language at high priority are "rude". Maybe you don't like being ridiculed - most of us don't. But I suggest that if you don't like it then you don't publish ridiculous thoughts.

No one said the state should do anything about it, it was just a statement of opinion about how one should behave when migrating to a new country.
Maybe so, but I used the word, and for the reason given above.

I'm sorry that you are, or appear to be, congenitaly unable to deal with people who's opinions differ from yours. But there it is, people won't always agree with you, its a fact of life that you'll have to learn to deal with.
Well, here I am - dealing with it. The fact that you use the word congenitally, and are liberal with your sarcasm, shows that I'm actually dealing with it better than you are.

So, what about the question that you failed to sidestep:

Where is the line? Who's lazy and rude? Anyone who isn't infirm or mentally incapacitated?

Bum! I also spelled "congenitaly" wrong! Whats wrong with sarcasm? I like sarcasm! I find it very amusing!

P.S just noticed, what does "blank and white" mean? ;)

OK baldy01, well done for breaking the ice!

By "black and white", I mean to imply the assumption of a stark boundary between two alternatives - dark and light with no dusk.

In practise, IMHO, in many issues where opinions seem to be diametically opposed, they're often not very far apart, because there's a veritable spectrum of nuances that colour the issue at hand.

True, but try to remember that just because someone presents a contrary opinion doesn't mean that their world view is black and white while yours is technicoloured.

Maybe they've noticed that your spectrum is missing its purple and are trying to highlight that, even though they don't actually like purple themselves. Or maybe someone is trying to point out that infrared is part of the spectrum even though you can't see it unaided.

Assuming that anyone who disagree's has a black and white outlook makes you guilty of black and white thinking. Maybe they see colours you don't.

Prehaps I should change my handle to devils advocate, or possibly trouble_maker :D

baldy01 said:
True, but try to remember that just because someone presents a contrary opinion doesn't mean that their world view is black and white while yours is technicoloured.

Maybe they've noticed that your spectrum is missing its purple and are trying to highlight that, even though they don't actually like purple themselves. Or maybe someone is trying to point out that infrared is part of the spectrum even though you can't see it unaided.

Assuming that anyone who disagree's has a black and white outlook makes you guilty of black and white thinking. Maybe they see colours you don't.
Blimey!

Prehaps I should change my handle to devils advocate, or possibly trouble_maker :D
Q: what happens when two people both present the devil's advocate point of view? :evil:

IPA Softus?

India pale ale? lol (see where this is heading?)

In future plse advertise your usual as "A pale ale from any part of the British Empire, regardless of nation, creed, colour, taste, flavour or price"...
and then explain that you only used the phrase "British Empire" as a laugh...

ModernMaterials said:
IPA Softus?

India pale ale? lol (see where this is heading?)

In future plse advertise your usual as "A pale ale from any part of the British Empire, regardless of nation, creed, colour, taste, flavour or price"...
and then explain that you only used the phrase "British Empire" as a laugh...
Well, you know me - when have I ever been fussy? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back