automated distribution board

andy said:
so, since im 99% sure you do #1 and not #2, shut the **** up

There is absolutely no need for this kind of language. In your own house, you do what you see fit. In somebody else's house, or in this case, in a commercial environ, you have to be careful to follow correct procedure. Isn't that obvious?

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
andy said:
so, since im 99% sure you do #1 and not #2, shut the **** up

There is absolutely no need for this kind of language. In your own house, you do what you see fit. In somebody else's house, or in this case, in a commercial environ, you have to be careful to follow correct procedure. Isn't that obvious?

there are rules for too many things these days. in a few years time youll only be able to **** between certain times. so what if people skip a rule every so often. aslong as you know what you can/cant touch then anyone can reset a MCB. there aint much difference between that and a light switch

After reading several posts, I have come to the conclusion that Andy is an apprentice with a chip on his shoulder, so when you have a few years in the trade domestic/commercial and industrial then you can voice your opinions on whats right and wrong.

I was always taught you have to be suitably trained/qualified to touch electrics outside your own home, especially in a commercial/industrial building.

Ok so Crafty knows how to reset an MCB and change a tube/fitting, but he isn't legally aloud to do it.

So Andrew take the chip off your shoulder, you have a little knowledge but not as much as a time served spark with years in the trade.

Hacman said:
After reading several posts, I have come to the conclusion that Andy is an apprentice with a chip on his shoulder, so when you have a few years in the trade domestic/commercial and industrial then you can voice your opinions on whats right and wrong.

i do have a few years experiance. maybe not as much as most of you sparks tho.
Hacman said:
I was always taught you have to be suitably trained/qualified to touch electrics outside your own home, especially in a commercial/industrial building.

i wouldnt call changing a light bulb something that must be done by a 'trained person'
next i must be fully qualified in using a microwave so i can microwave some chips

Hacman said:
Ok so Crafty knows how to reset an MCB and change a tube/fitting, but he isn't legally aloud to do it.

i really should do that course to be able to turn a light switch on. and maybe that other course to plug something in. and maybe the other course to actually use the appliance.
Hacman said:
So Andrew take the chip off your shoulder, you have a little knowledge but not as much as a time served spark with years in the trade.

so i aint allowed to put MY opinions/views forward then eh? so im suposed to be a fully qualified electrician with years of experiance before people will listen to me? no wonder the world is all to ****. we would probably have a better lifestyle in the 30's the way things are goin now

Sponsored Links
Actually where I did my apprenticeship it was a disciplinary action against you for touching anything electrical which you should not be, such as changing a tube in the office etc...

Any decent firm with a proper health and safety setup will do the same.

Secondly your being a pedantic t*t saying you will need microwave traing or light switch training. You need to grow up!

Nobody said don't voice your opinions just make sure you get all your facts right first before you do.

OOOOKKKAYYYYYYY so moving on

Im not allowed to open that automated dist panel any more (not legally anyway) to reset an MCB. What about an ordinary 3 phase distribution board? Am i allowed to reset those MCBs? Seeing as by exposing those MCBs, im not exposing live parts?

My point about calling an electrician is that we have to do everything through our store support service. It was sunday. Store support is closed on a sunday, unbelievably, despite all the stores being open. We had no lights in the warehouse, staff canteen, steps, toilets, nothing. Staff were grumbling at me, left right and centre (felt like screamin at one of them, daft cow, thinks she is running the place, or running me anyway). Upshot: i had to do something. All i did was re-energise a circuit on which a fault had occurred. The circuit stayed on because the fault has cleared (light not working now). I'm sick of the place anyway. Any sparks want an apprentice? ;)

It depends where in Yorkshire you are, Calderdale Council are wanting some

As for reseting breakers in the 3 phase board, normally only sparks are allowed to touch the breakers again h&s. Altho I have worked in some places where as long as the board is within reach (no tools needed to access it, such as ladders and screwdrivers) then staff have been allowed to flick the breakers. However these were as I would call them 'backstreet outfits' with no or little h&s in place

Hacman said:
As for reseting breakers in the 3 phase board, normally only sparks are allowed to touch the breakers again h&s. Altho I have worked in some places where as long as the board is within reach (no tools needed to access it, such as ladders and screwdrivers) then staff have been allowed to flick the breakers. However these were as I would call them 'backstreet outfits' with no or little h&s in place

i rekon the place bein in darkness is a greater danger than someone switching the lights back in.

as far a H&S in concerned, there needs to be an end to it somewhere. fair enough only people who know what there doin should be messin with the insides of a DB, but if something trips then anyone should be able to reset it. and if it trips again immediatly or is keep trippin then someone who knows where there doin should be called to investigate

Thats as maybe, but I don't set the rules where I work for does. Besides it wasn't specifically lighting breakers they were messing with, but machinery breakers as well. This is dangerous as I have lockoffs etc to enable me to work safely isolated.

The machine was tripping and these people were re-setting the breaker, whilst people still had their heads and various bodily parts in the machine still I saw some nasty accidents caused by this, granted flicking a lightswitch breaker back on is different, but if several breakers are down and no labling is present in the board as is normally the case then how can you know which breaker does what, you could turn on a breaker that could cause a fatality. unskilled people do not normally know what all the different numbers on a breaker means, a 6amp is the same as a 32 to them!!

crafty1289 said:
My point about calling an electrician is that we have to do everything through our store support service. It was sunday. Store support is closed on a sunday, unbelievably, despite all the stores being open.

This shows that your store shows complete disregard to the safe and efficient running of the store on a Sunday. If the management of the store are not bothered about the electrical services on a Sunday, why should you be?

crafty1289 said:
We had no lights in the warehouse, staff canteen, steps, toilets, nothing. Staff were grumbling at me, left right and centre (felt like screamin at one of them, daft cow, thinks she is running the place, or running me anyway).

Why did one of the others not switch it back on, if they are that concerned?

crafty1289 said:
Upshot: i had to do something. All i did was re-energise a circuit on which a fault had occurred.

And thus required testing prior to re energising to prove the integrity of the circuit. Do you realise that as the last person to touch the circuit that you are now liable for it.

crafty1289 said:
The circuit stayed on because the fault has cleared (light not working now)

How do you know that the fault has cleared without testing it?. The lamp may have blown because of an underlying fault elsewhere.

crafty1289 said:
I'm sick of the place anyway. Any sparks want an apprentice? ;)

Good luck with your new career ;)

Hacman said:
Thats as maybe, but I don't set the rules where I work for does. Besides it wasn't specifically lighting breakers they were messing with, but machinery breakers as well. This is dangerous as I have lockoffs etc to enable me to work safely isolated.

The machine was tripping and these people were re-setting the breaker, whilst people still had their heads and various bodily parts in the machine still I saw some nasty accidents caused by this, granted flicking a lightswitch breaker back on is different, but if several breakers are down and no labling is present in the board as is normally the case then how can you know which breaker does what, you could turn on a breaker that could cause a fatality. unskilled people do not normally know what all the different numbers on a breaker means, a 6amp is the same as a 32 to them!!

but at the same time if you followed 'safe isolation' properly and locked off supplies/isolators then the power would not be able to get accidently switched on

oh, and crafty - your probably too late for an apprenticeship starting this year

Im not on about me working on the equipment.

Im on about factory workers the machine stops working, a few people gather round some start fiddling with settings while one tootles off to flick back the breaker, while they are still messing with the machine on comes the power and owww there goes a hand etc.

As i said this is common in backstreet outfits, I used to work for until I realised no health and safety was going to be carried out and the management could not give a t**s what i thought about how dangerous it all was. So I left.

we ought to have a chat room, these replies are coming thick and fast, im fed up with pressing refresh ;) . ADMIN YOU LISTENIN?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back