Automatic locking of Topics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why are topics left open permanently, except when they locked by Admin or a Moderator, usually for abuse?

If a topic has had no replies for a few weeks it is dead and buried. Any additional posts after that time are made because the topic has come up either as the result of a search or it appears as a "Similar Topic" under an open topic.

So either a reply is posted answering a three or four year old question, which has already been answered, or someone posts a new topic (allegedly similar to the original) effectively hijacking the original topic.

I keep topics on my Watch list for a week and a day after the last reply. If there has been no action in that time, I assume the topic is closed.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the OP does reply after a while and sometimes there is a justification for tagging something onto an existing thread. Does it really matter?

Sometimes replies are follow ups or comments that are relevant which are useful to the topic, so that is the main argument against auto-locking older topics. If a non-relevant reply is spotted it will usually be split.

Sponsored Links
ive just read a topic that has had a reply 8 years after the original post :LOL:

is that a record???

Back