Autumn statement.

I remember the proper recession from the late 70's early 80's and then the proper crash late 80's and today is nothing like either of those, and nor does it look like it will be. But the media do love their hysteria and the lemmings get dragged along.

Sponsored Links
A lot of the announcements don't come into immediate effect, nor even next year.
Some of them come in and continue into the next Government's tenure.
That's binding the hands of the next Government.

I remember the proper recession from the late 70's early 80's and then the proper crash late 80's and today is nothing like either of those, and nor does it look like it will be. But the media do love their hysteria and the lemmings get dragged along.
Unemployment is set to go up. Possibly a housing price crash. The fiscal period is when they think debt will reduce not be cleared. They expect a £9b drop but that is a forecast not fact. Sounds a lot but % wise .............

How will this go in the next couple of years

Another Truss cropped up in the news a couple of days ago. The trade deal she cooked up with Oz and NZ. Tariff free imports of beef and lamb and no benefits going the other way out of the UK. You can guess what our own producers think about this.

Sponsored Links
Not really. The next government can just decide to do something else. Much as this government has changed it's mind on several matters of fiscal policy over the last few weeks.

What happened to Lizzie T's " Investment Zones " . Seems to have gone quiet.. :(

Cant complain its put one investment up by ten percent in the past few days

A lot of the announcements don't come into immediate effect, nor even next year.
Some of them come in and continue into the next Government's tenure.

Not really. The next government can just decide to do something else. Much as this government has changed it's mind on several matters of fiscal policy over the last few weeks.
But it's not this Government dealing with this Government's problems. We've had a Tory Government for the last 12 years. & 7 years of that has been with the support and cooperation of other parties.
Now the onus has been put firmly on the next Government to sort out the mess, and take the flak from further increases in taxes, etc.
We'll have another 5 years of, "it's all their fault, we're just clearing up the mess."

Asylum seekers (the French), Covid and the Ukraine-Russian war has been an absolute Godsend to carry the blame so far.

The investment zones are still on but no details. Truss mentioned several factors. Still the same ? Pass.

Things are timed in a way that may allow them to say how wonderful they are - we've been hugged again etc. Much of the budget is aimed at keeping the public's spend up as much as possible and prevent hitting the low income end too hard. Seems on average people are going to be £1700 PA poorer - some pundit but no idea of what happens with power next year. Pain is said to come after the next election. I suppose that is the increased taxation - allowances remaining the same. Inflation will drop off ;) I hope but that doesn't mean prices will fall but if countries want to sell stuff here they may a bit. Then comes mortgage cost increases.

Labour have some ideas about raising more tax that wont hit the general public. Mentioned 2. Ending the charity status of private schools and some sort of change to non dom status. I'd guess they would play around with other areas as well such as the capital gains type areas etc. :) Well it is at least more money and really it makes sense for all tax payers to pay more really. Currently the intention is for the "workers" to pay the debt off over a rather long period.

:) Some pundit comments. You can not run a state like the UK has at USA taxation rates. Some countries are more successful and pay higher taxation. :) I'll add one of my own. Who is going to vote for a party that said look we do need to raise taxation.

One thing that strikes me is that people were probably better off under the set up when Wilson was PM. The money we pay out has to include that which goes into various privatised entities and in council tax now. True or false, pass but I sometimes wonder.

Sponsored Links
Back