Average gas/electric costs

last years electric was £90, no gas aiming for less this year ;)

Sponsored Links
We pay £42 a month for elec, £30 for Gas. Three/four bed mid terrace with Gas Combi boiler, gas hob, elec oven/grill.

We've got two kids under 5 so most of our elec bill goes on the washer and tumble dryer!! We're also 300m above sea level so heating on pretty much most of the time from Oct thru March!

3 bed Detached Bungalow.....and I don`t care :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: But I just bought 17 rolls of loft insulation for £17. special gov. subsidised deal :eek:

wow - Nige, why so cheap? are you unemployed may i ask, or over a certain age...
how can i apply? im 31, fully employed.

Sponsored Links
That's high, snico. Is your house occupied most of the day?

I dread to think what our will be when Wifey is on maternity leave.

Well this missus is home pretty much all day with the little one, and for some reason she loves the heating being on, and I think shes got a new laundry service running from our house, with the amount of washing that gets done!

my dad has just plugged up that energy monitor i ordered, at 10 at night it was reading 16p per hour at its default tariff of 10p. The only things on are the big fridge/freezer, the small fridge and small freezer upstairs, about 7 bulbs and 2 computers. Anything else is on standby.

He is quite looking forward to turning stuff on and off to see what is costing so much! My money is on the old freezer upstairs being a big culprit. Though it'll be interesting to see how much the computers are taking.

Have 10 ft³ (0.283m³) Freezer in unheated garage - pretty full - >17 yrs old.

(No info' 'plate' visible).
When motor running, 290 VA (PF 0.55) ~ 160W...
Average during warm periods 81W/hr Or 1.9 kWh per 24 hrs. (this includes weekly restock some items)
57 kWh / month ~ £7.75 at my av. of 13.6p kWh
--

my dad has just plugged up that energy monitor i ordered, at 10 at night it was reading 16p per hour at its default tariff of 10p. The only things on are the big fridge/freezer, the small fridge and small freezer upstairs, about 7 bulbs and 2 computers. Anything else is on standby.

He is quite looking forward to turning stuff on and off to see what is costing so much! My money is on the old freezer upstairs being a big culprit. Though it'll be interesting to see how much the computers are taking.

I know this is lazy of me, but have you got a link to the energy monitor at all please? Could do with one myself.

Medium quality PC - With each of sub-woofer and speakers separately powered - 20" flatscreen - Router (wired).
Streaming video BBC iplayer - whilst copying a large folder from one hdd to another ... Power usage measured at 'the wall socket' 174 W O/A PF 0.77

Average over a running period of 12hrs mixed browsing - music- video - 135 W/hr total 1.62 kWh ...

--

I know this is lazy of me, but have you got a link to the energy monitor at all please? Could do with one myself.

Its the Owl Monitor http://www.theowl.com/index.php?page=about-owl

I actually got it from ebay but its already working. My parents and my brother have all seen how much it costs to run certain things and have announced that change is coming already!

My brothers 5 year old AMD based computer for example is costing about 10p an hour to run. Newer computers are much more effecient and also throttle better to use less energy. So he has already started turning it off and planning an upgrade. Just last week he was leaving it on all day while at work.

The 4 60w candle bulbs in the living room were costing 1p an hour this morning an a really low setting (dimmer), That doesnt sound like much but we estimated that they are on for at least 8 hours a day now that the nights are drawing in so fast, that works out to £2.40 a month even at that low setting. In reality they are up higher later in the evening.

The 3 R80 spots in my brothers room and the 3 bulbs in the ceiling fan also surprised them all so CFLs are on the way. By comparison a CFL in my mums lamp didnt make the numbers move at all when turned on or off while standard bulbs in the same lamp made it jump considerably.

Everyone I think knows that standard bulbs and leaving stuff on is inefficient. Its only when you see JUST how much its costing you that you start to realise that it IS worth the effort to turn them off, or replace them. Without a monitor you just dont know what is using what.

I'd honestly say that the govt. plans to fit smart meters in everyones houses would be better placed by giving everyone an energy monitor so that they can acutally see how much things cost to run in real terms, they would soon stop the bad habits and put in cfls etc.. My dad has really never cared but after just 24 hours he has made changes.

EDIT: just fyi, those prices are with the unit set at my dads 20p per kw. after a certain amount it drops to 2p per kw but we havn't had a chance yet to calculate the proper average to set it to. We didnt tell my mum and brother that though :D

Pointless exersize as no two households are exactly the same or even similar.

wow - Nige, why so cheap? are you unemployed may i ask, or over a certain age...
how can i apply? im 31, fully employed.
Bit of both :oops: but it was just a special deal at Build Center ( wolseley group) dunno if it`s country wide tho`.

Sponsored Links
Back