Avoiding a step in floor levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install an electric underfloor heating system in our kitchen. We will be tiling all the way from the hallway, through the kitchen to the utility room. However we only want the underfloor heating in the kitchen.

Its a 10 year old house with concrete (screeded?) floor at ground level.

I would like to use the thermal insulation boards below the heating elements, the guys I have spoken to about laying the tiles would also use a levelling compound over the heating element to avoid damaging it when laying the tiles. All which would build up the level of the floor about 12-16 mm above that in the hallway and utility room.

In order to make the floor up to the same level I could use more of the thermal boards but they're quite expensive and unnecessary, is it possible to use plywood or similar? If so, how would you lay it on the concrete floor, does it need a damp proof membrane?

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Jez

Sponsored Links
No point doing anything with the levels till you know what the other rooms are having for flooring.

i would loose 12 to 20mm over around 0.5 to 1 m after you leave the kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back