Awful CH trouble.

You could also look at sound proofing around whatever is making the noise, it shouldn't take much for a big improvement.

If possible can you take a photo of what is making the noise and how it is attached to whatever surface it is on?

Something like dynamat might be suitable, something with a bit of mass to it not lightweight like rockwool.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hopefully some or all of your conversations with Vaillant have been in writing, including the bit about it shouldn't be doing anything overnight?
By the sound of it you've given the installer and manufacturer plenty of opportunities to fix the problem and they've failed to do so.
Trading Standards is your next stop, your system is not of merchantable quality, the installer (not Vaillant, they didn't sell you the thing) needs either to replace it with a system that does work or restore what was there previously & refund your money.

See if you can get a report done for noise nuisance with a decibel meter.

Sponsored Links
Totally understand, and you don't have to explain.

For what it's worth, they (we) meant well. There was a *lot* of effort put in by many to try and resolve your issue(s). I'll leave it at that. Finger's crossed for you; I'm sure you'll get there.

Too much piling up hence thread grew. yes alot of help that i show gratitute for MJN (you're implying i didnt.. ) many times, during all threads: is a dead cert to show politeness: conversely, mounting pages worthof useless silly replies & a few nasty personal comments.. are unacceptable (& don't do the site justice, esp if mods leave them up). I should've separated this CH trouble, from build work, from condensation issues.

Anyway back to this CH issue (maybe you could offer an opinion- iirc you have an ashp?). Now no hot water. Nothing from taps. No HW now for a week till tuesday.

But assuming will be fixed tues: its just how to go about tackling Vaillant, and if any solution, or ideas, or anyone who knows what the noise problem actually is.. would be very helpful. Thanks SC

See if you can get a report done for noise nuisance with a decibel meter.

Unfortunately this won't help, because its not necessarily 'loud' but it is loud -enough- to be heard 3 rooms away, loud enough to wake me, in the dead of night. Loud enough it is simply completely unliveable with.

The fact is known regardless of the volume of the noise, it should not be doing these repeated cycles overnight. Boards were fitted to rectify it. They wouldn't have be fitted, unless it was agreed by Vaillant a fault/ told to me so, that it should not be doing these noise bursts (regardless of a figure the noise makes on a meter/ this is completely immaterial). I know this noise fault as being fact before I do the thread. This is all that is needed to be known, & needs to be stopped, simply this. Certainly not db measured. Certainly not for someone to tell me on my property "it is below X so we deem acceptable" ill rip their head off!!

To stop it.. is all I want. To fix it.. is all I want.

What the implication of your suggestion rather sees things from Vaillant's pov.. which should not be stuck up for (& adds to my stress a bit tbh) after the ammount of stress this has caused me for 7 months, 10 visits, parts replaced, parts breaking down water everywhere 11 pm, still nothing remedied, me sitting here on sleeping pills with no hot water for a week. Another weeks battle ahead on calls, emails, visits. It is a disgrace. £9,000 this cost.

thx SC

Some body mentioned "frost protection". The outdoor unit of an Air Sourced Heat Pump can ice up in cold damp weather. When iced up the unit cannot collect heat and has to be de-iced by putting heat into the unit. Some systems switch to house cooling mode where heat is taken from the house to warm up the outdoor unit and melt the ice. The pump has to run to do this.

The control algorithm for this de-icing in complex and relies on several sensors to determine if and when it should be applied. I admit to having very little knowledge of the algorithm.

Hopefully some or all of your conversations with Vaillant have been in writing, including the bit about it shouldn't be doing anything overnight?
By the sound of it you've given the installer and manufacturer plenty of opportunities to fix the problem and they've failed to do so.
Trading Standards is your next stop, your system is not of merchantable quality, the installer (not Vaillant, they didn't sell you the thing) needs either to replace it with a system that does work or restore what was there previously & refund your money.

Hi oldb.. thanks alot for this. Its a reassuring reply. You see I have no experience of making any such complaint (currently 3 with Vaillant about the system) to any company in my life, never used a solicitor, useless at knowing what route i could take etc. But someone else mentioned Trading Standards.

My installers, recently finally replying to my email and call after call.. said sort of threateningly, & instead of agreeing to fix it "please give us a date to take system out & replace with prior system".

But this said as a threat (deliberately rather than to be of help) to make me shut up & stop demanding it be fixed you see. They know my prior situation was one rotten old immersion tank, no rads at all. The thought of a team turning up, ripping out all new 8 x rads, leaving a mess costing £1k to sort, then being worse off than I am now (at least i can get CH on from midday to 9 pm.. before i had no CH at all).. adds stress.

I just want it fixed. I don't want miracles, or demanding xy and z. Just make it not go on overnight, when it is told to me by Vaillant that it shouldn't do/ that it is a (software) fault. I shouldnt be entertaining the idea of system removal, unless, an appropriately quiet one is put in instead (This is the only viable alternative to me, but not in the offing to be mentioned). And, only one company is feasable to fix a software/ design fault.. & this simply is not, nor can it possibly be, the installers. I have a 5 yr warranty too. With Vaillant. But the " responsibility " issue.. to me is hugely confusing, exacerbated by both Co's saying the other is responsible: Vaillant say its install error lying to me that " it says in install instructions unit shouldnt go near bedrooms" but deliberately failing to go on the read to me that this nugget of info - only, and specifically- is in reference to the outside fan unit.. not not not having any relevance to my problem indoor unit (whilst their service dept agrees its a software issue!).. so you can see Im being hoodwinked. Then the installers obviously saying how can a software issue be their responsibility. And i actually agree with these rotten threatening installers, i agree how can a software issue be anyone's responsibility but the mfr.

its a catch22. They both know it. This is precisely why I need help.

What the implication of your suggestion rather sees things from Vaillant's pov.. which should not be stuck up for (& adds to my stress a bit tbh)

It was a suggestion mate.
Trying to help is all.
It's between you and Vaillant.
I'm out.
Good luck.

you say you had system water leaks, what pressure is the system water at now ?

This is a common trick (installer and manufacturer blaming each other), its one of the antics that consumer legislation exists to prevent. You have a contractual arrangement with the installer (you paid them money to install a working system). They have failed to perform this contract (might not be their fault but they took your money so they are responsible for making it work). If you decide on the removal option they must restore your house to its previous state (including any making good of damage to floors, walls etc. AND refund your money, thus leaving you able to start again.
Whatever system you put in, don't put any active bits in a bedroom or other habitable room. They all make noise.

... adds stress.

Not wishing to inflame the situation here, but it's worth remembering that all of the advice and help offered here is offered for free, and by people who make suggestions for no gain. Continually repeating that it's causing you sleepless nights, stress, worry, and financial pain will not help.
Lets try and keep to the facts, in the hope that you'll eventually get to a suitable solution.

I just want it fixed. I don't want miracles, or demanding xy and z.

Could this (demanding) be why you (appear to) have fallen out with the installer and with Vaillant? Long ranting posts also lose the interest of some erstwhile helpful people. Take a breath and accept that some useless suggestions will come along with the good ones.

I'm no fan of Vaillant, nor of those who buy foreign at the expense of British manufacturers, but I'm off to spend the next 15 minutes or so on your behalf, reading up on the manual to get a better idea of how this system works to get heat into your house.
From what you've already said it seems like this unit is designed to take heat from the air outside and use this heat to provide you with hot water and 8 radiators.

As said several threads ago, some photos of the unit would be helpful.

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/download...ing-and-installation-instructions-1799367.pdf

mentions a "Noise reduction mode – Operation with reduced sound emissions"

Cheers for looking in here for me, & yes Ive done all facets of this noise reduction mode.. in fact it does afaict, absolutely nothing discernably different. It certainly doesnt make any difference this indoor noisey problem unit, infuriatingly. It perhaps knocks the fan unit noise down a peg, but even this i cannot tell any difference. It is a joke.

You see all noise reference, like for eg the bumf i poured over prior to choosing it/ what is available to a customer with even a db chart is only with reference to one of the 3 units, the one ive only ever read mention makes any noise, is relating to the outside purring fan unit. I have no issue with this. It introduces some low frequency noise yes, via pipes into house (and I'd say this is a bit too noisy in itself during the day, but not in any making you ill big problem capacity; certainly not overnight then its active only at a very low level during these awful noise periods thank christ, so you can only -just- hear it 3 beds away: different in the spare room tho, this unit judt itself makes the room untenable to use as a bedroom, let alone the problem box unit too). The noise reduction, the db chart info, do not have any connection with the very unit which is problematically noisy. I am of the opinion we are hoodwinked, they deliberately do not inform about it, as sales would be affected, rivals' sustems chosen instead. Interestingly.. daiking and mitsubishi i think, -do- mention their indoor unit is liable to make noise, even giving a 28 db figure one GOOD company does.

My beef with Vaillant is that 1) there should be mention of the indoor unit liable to make noise, so to site accordingly could be chosen by both me and primarily a decent installer.. but nothing mentioned. Only the outside unit. I do not sleep outside. And 2) the actual noise it makes, and 3) when it makes its most noise ( exactly the time when you absolutely don't want it to, so it is not conjusive to live near, certainly not to sleep near if it is loud enough to wake you all of 3 bedrooms away.. so it is not fit for purpose in my opinion. Simple as. Without the slightest hesitation of doubt this is true, for this house, a smallish 3 bed cottage.

If i had known it was going to make noise.. I could have sited next to back door, i have the area to, well away from bedrooms. Then, perhaps, but i still think it would be prominent to disturbing at 3 am one reason being the noise is transmitted along the pipes to rads, it could be tolerated within the house. Just. I am of the firm belief though, that it shouldn't be in a small house at all, its just too annoyingly interuptively noisy even in its '2nd gear' lesser normal daytime heating mode tbh.

i have to also press 'reset' button on this wretched unit to fire it up again.
I did wonder if that might be the case. Switching off the indoor unit alone would probably throw some error message and shut the whole system down.

Not wishing to inflame the situation here, but it's worth remembering that all of the advice and help offered here is offered for free, and by people who make suggestions for no gain. Continually repeating that it's causing you sleepless nights, stress, worry, and financial pain will not help.
Lets try and keep to the facts, in the hope that you'll eventually get to a suitable solution.

Could this (demanding) be why you (appear to) have fallen out with the installer and with Vaillant? Long ranting posts also lose the interest of some erstwhile helpful people. Take a breath and accept that some useless suggestions will come along with the good ones.

I'm no fan of Vaillant, nor of those who buy foreign at the expense of British manufacturers, but I'm off to spend the next 15 minutes or so on your behalf, reading up on the manual to get a better idea of how this system works to get heat into your house.
From what you've already said it seems like this unit is designed to take heat from the air outside and use this heat to provide you with hot water and 8 radiators.

As said several threads ago, some photos of the unit would be helpful.

hi, points taken.. but i cannot explain unless i detail what is going on. This i can only do with lengthy explanation. I apologise, and thanks for reading, but unfortunately it is neccessary.

To be honest, its not a case of tweaking the system to suit, or any issue with ability to get it working better, or optimally, or slightly differently (I've spent months with countless engineers trying this approach, all to zero results, it still comes on overnight). It is deemed to be a fault. Board replacements & their chief of engineer head honcho himself, here, telling me so concludes this.

It is how i tackle the company about it who on the one (left) hand agree it is, on the other (right) hand outright refusing to agree (saying 'its meant to do that' a total contradiction one dept to the next).. then on one (left) foot deeming it installer issue, then on the other (right) foot, kicking me square in the bllx.

thanks alot SC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back