AWG routing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to install some 3 core 6mm/sq armoured cable ready for the electrician who will wire up my EV charging point.

I need to run it along the side of my house, along the inside of my fence and accross the front of my garage.

Based on BS7671 AMD 3, what are the main points I need to be aware of while runing it?

For example height from floor, distance between cleats (horizontaly and verticaly), clipping it to a fence, going through a fence post etc.

Many thanks in advance for help and advice on this :)

Sponsored Links
There is a problem in complying with BS7671 as the big requirement is the person who designs the system is the person who signs the document to say they have designed it.

Electricians can clearly have mates and apprentices working for them, so they can tell others what to do, but main point is the electrician has to be in control. Nothing wrong with the electrician saying dig a trench there for me, but in essence you work for him, not him working for you, he has to plan it all and you have to do what you are told.

There are special requirements for electric vehicles, also caravans and boats, but with electric vehicles the IET has published a guide book, and really this also must be followed. Earthing is a real problem with electric cars being charged outside, and the rules for public charging points are not the same as private. It is complex and since I don't have an electric car I have not read up on it too much, but it's not a DIY job.

As Eric has said the regulations applicable to installing a home charger make DIY install a poor option.

I'm planning to install some 3 core 6mm/sq armoured cable ready for the electrician who will wire up my EV charging point.

I need to run it along the side of my house, along the inside of my fence and accross the front of my garage.

Based on BS7671 AMD 3, what are the main points I need to be aware of while runing it?

For example height from floor, distance between cleats (horizontaly and verticaly), clipping it to a fence, going through a fence post etc.

How did you come to the decision to use 6mm swa? Whats the kW rating of the charger? Does your electrician exist in real life?

Sponsored Links
OK. Your supply earth type is compatible with using 3-core cable, yes?

OK.

All the ones of which your electrician is aware, and which are relevant to this part of the work. Including all the provisions of Section 722, not one of which appears in your "for example" list.

Ask your electrician.

NP.

But it's your electrician who you should be thanking, as he is the only one who can provide help and advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back