Is this quote reasonable?

Now I know sod all about A10's (apart from they are fantastic to watch straffing armour & the gatlin sounds awesome) & even less about GDF111's (are they still in use?)

But I do know sparking (well some of it :LOL: ) & this work will take a tad longer than 8 hours, if it's done correctly and safely to comply with regulations, that does mean full testing which can take a while. Would you have entrusted an aircraft upgrade to a novice/beginner or unqualified aircraft tec...I think not

As for clipping to the concrete gravel boards..it's do-able but be careful as the boards are prestressed & can crack very easy as can the slotted posts.

10mm will be more than ample for your needs, if the spark is going to put the sub in as 32a ocpd he's probably gonna run in 16 or 20 amp radial for the sockets in the shed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the input, I think all things considered I could install this myself but as has been mentioned installing it is only half the job, and safety is of utmost importance. Having a qualified, competent and insured professional is clearly the way to go. My concern is that I have now had 2 Firms out and neither has mentioned clipping every 400mm or offered to do a proper pre inspection of the existing wiring, they have simply had a look in the electrical cupboard and determined what I wanted done then went away to quote. I have tried asking loads of people for a recommended Electrician but nobody knew one they would recommend. Ill get 3 or 4 more quotes and decide then.

Now I know s** all about A10's (apart from they are fantastic to watch straffing armour & the gatlin sounds awesome) & even less about GDF111's (are they still in use?)

But I do know sparking (well some of it :LOL: ) & this work will take a tad longer than 8 hours, if it's done correctly and safely to comply with regulations, that does mean full testing which can take a while. Would you have entrusted an aircraft upgrade to a novice/beginner or unqualified aircraft tec...I think not

As for clipping to the concrete gravel boards..it's do-able but be careful as the boards are prestressed & can crack very easy as can the slotted posts.

10mm will be more than ample for your needs, if the spark is going to put the sub in as 32a ocpd he's probably gonna run in 16 or 20 amp radial for the sockets in the shed.

Would I trust an aircraft upgrade to a beginner? Yes, because it would then be inspected and tested thoroughly by an expert but the beginner would also be monitored during the entire process so point taken.

Sponsored Links
My concern is that I have now had 2 Firms out and neither has mentioned clipping every 400mm
It's something that anyone with a bit of expereince will do without thinking so its unlikely that they would have bothered mentioning how many clips they are going to use as most people don't care. :LOL:

... or offered to do a proper pre inspection of the existing wiring, they have simply had a look in the electrical cupboard and determined what I wanted done
If you are having a small secondary CU next to your existing consumer unit then a quick check is all that is really needed to begin with. An experienced spark can tell the size of the tails and earthing/bonding conductors just by looking and would have added the cost of upgrades to the quote had it been necessary (or included it in the cost of fitting the CU).

If you are concerned then call him back and ask what exactly is included in the quote and what his rates are should there be additional work required.

Also seriously consider getting a few extra sockets put in now. It won't add much to the quote but will save a fair bit of faffing around later on. As mentioned, running 2x 2.4kw elements from a double socket is a bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back