B&D Workmates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A common bit of kit for many DIYer, but I've noticed an alarming decline in quality recently.

When my dad got one in the late 70s, it was solidly made. He still has it, and works well.

When I got one about 10 years ago, it was bigger (the WM825 I think), and had many plastic fittings that were previously metal (eg. clips that locked the legs in place). Such fittings eventually failed, and I even had to repair the wooden bench section, but it still worked ok.

End of last year, after some more repairs and failures, and a great deal of use (probably more than my dad has used his over the years), it finally needed replacing. Now have a new one (WM825), and we find more plastic fittings, and a much lower build quality. The whole metal frame bends when I tighten the right hand clamp, and can't even fit the wooden section into the nearest slot, and the plastic lug will not fit into the right hand slot due to poor finishing.

It feels like its about to fall apart, and the wooden sections are even thinner than before. Such a shame, as they were once a good DIY product.

Are there any alternatives to B&D?

Sponsored Links
I have a 20+ years old workmate, even in the worn state it's in I htink it's miles better than the plastic crap thats available now.

If needs be I can simply replace the wooden tops.

Sponsored Links
I would avoid the Stanley Project one. It looks great, but if you can stop it from moving around when you're using it, you are a better man than me!

i have a 10 year old workmate and a 25 year old workmate my father has an original workmate where some off the components where cast

on each of them is subtle changes mostly to reduce production costs

my only real 2 complaints are the move from plywood jaws to chipwood with a single veneer
and the worst one on the original you had springs to locate the extension legs

on the later ones a plastic retainer that breaks after a few years use :rolleyes:

I bought a wickes tilt and clamp workbench about 7 years ago for about £15 for what was going to be a 1 off job but it is still going strong. Ok the work surface area is not very big but the fact you can tilt both sides up to 45 and 90 degrees independently of each other has proved to be very useful at times.

It's not the most solid thing around and the plastic clamps were rubbish but has survived a great deal of abuse as I have managed to cut the ends off it with a circular saw and has an assortment of extra holes now in it and it spent a year out in the garden.

But for £15 for 7 years of work I think I've had value for money.

:)

I recently repaired mine, I did post on the forum to find out how to do it, no replies.... but an email from B&D put me on the right track.

Virtually every part can be brought from www.mtmc.co.uk and can be fitted yourself, just search for WM825.

The belt went on mine, not a major issue but I did like the one handed operation of the vice. :eek:

Well worth the money imo, although that was 10 years ago the price doesn't seemed to have risen much.

There's a post above showing the triton superjaws. I've used these and I have to say they're brilliant. they're on a totally different planet to everything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back