B.I. Calenders junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The more I look, the more I find. Just found this old junction box which has 10 lighting cables going to it. Inside, the wire cores are just twisted together and capped with the white plastic screws. Doesn't look good practice to me by today's standards. Should I replace it and what should I replace it with. My concern is that the conductors could touch as the white caps are quite loose. Thanks.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Those white caps sound rather like screwits. I'm not particularly fond of them, but they are certainly still used in the US, although do not seem to be very common in the UK any more. Even though the plastic may feel loose, it doesn't necessarily mean that the internal metal thread that holds the wiring in place is equally loose. If all the wires seem tight and secure, there shouldn't be anything to worry about, but only you have seen the job in hand, so it's your call.

Brackers considering your last post i would give some serious consideration to having a PIR carried out and be prepared for a full re-wire

Sponsored Links
Are those earths terminated in the same way? Otherwise agreed, leave it alone.

Whatever happened to BICC's cable division? I know the construction side went to Balfour Beatty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back