B & Q Flexible Cable Safety Notice and Other Recalls

Sponsored Links
I started to look at items on the site on @RandomGrinch link, 100 amp isolator used it says between meter and main consumer unit, and advice is "If you believe you have an affected product stop using it immediately and contact the retailer for further advice." rather extreme to turn off power to whole of house.

As to 0.75 mm² being rated at 25 amp. Well it at least does say what the error is.

I started to look at items on the site on @RandomGrinch link, 100 amp isolator used it says between meter and main consumer unit, and advice is "If you believe you have an affected product stop using it immediately and contact the retailer for further advice." rather extreme to turn off power to whole of house.
That 'advice' does seem to be totally unrealistic, particularly given how long it could well take to get useful 'further advice from the retailer' (particularly over a holiday weekend!) ... and nor does it appear to give any indication of what the problem may be, other than that the risk it poses is 'electric shock' - it is therefore impossible for anyone to determine how urgent action is truly required.

Looking at the very extensive B&Q list of 'product recalls', some sound as if they may be potentially very important, but I am also moved to wonder hoiw pervasive Ms Nanny State is becoming, when I see items like...
B&Q said:
Product recall notice: PVC backed coir door mats
B&Q has been made aware the following door mats become slippery in cold conditions ....

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That 'advice' does seem to be totally unrealistic, particularly given how long it could well take to get useful 'further advice from the retailer' (particularly over a holiday weekend!) ... and nor does it appear to give any indication of what the problem may be, other than that the risk it poses is 'electric shock' - it is therefore impossible for anyone to determine how urgent action is truly required.
That seems to be electrical safety first's fault, I googled the model number and found a government recall notice with more information. It seems the problem was the isolator failling to isolate.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...uct_Safety_Report_10_12_2021_-_Week_49_v2.pdf

Looking at the very extensive B&Q list of 'product recalls', some sound as if they may be potentially very important, but I am also moved to wonder hoiw pervasive Ms Nanny State is becoming, when I see items like...

Kind Regards, John

I would imagine that the recall for the matts are voluntary. Frankly I think that most people that purchase matts expect them to be safe to use regardless of the temperature outdoors.

I very much doubt that Kingfisher expect customers to religiously read the recall list and provide it as a means of mitigating potential fines.

That seems to be electrical safety first's fault, I googled the model number and found a government recall notice with more information.
Fair enough. Thanks.
It seems the problem was the isolator failling to isolate.
I suspected that might be the case. I therefore wonder exactly what ESF mean by ".... stop using it immediately and contact the retailer for further advice." :) ... they seem to just be unthinkingly using a 'rubber stamp' without any consideration of the actual situation!

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
I would imagine that the recall for the matts are voluntary. Frankly I think that most people that purchase matts expect them to be safe to use regardless of the temperature outdoors.
Hmmm. I would have thought that, if it were going to be used 'outdoors', most people would realise and expect that it could end up soaking wet or, in the cold conditions cited, covered in snow and/or ice, and thereby potentially 'slippery'
I very much doubt that Kingfisher expect customers to religiously read the recall list and provide it as a means of mitigating potential fines.
Indeed so, as seems so often to be the case. However, my fear is that all this "protecting the backsides" of manufacturers/suppliers may well create complacency and, by virtue of the "crying wolf" phenomenon, result in people not taking seriously the warnings/recalls that really mattered.

A year or two ago I had an argument with technical folk at Argos about a highchair that my daughter had which they were trying to persuade her had to be returned for 'replacement' because of a 'recall'. The manufacturer had apparently decided that there was a risk of it "falling over sideways'. However, some tedious research on their website revealed that Argos was then offering about 40 highchairs of similar design, height and weight, but that the 'recalled' one had the widest (side-to-side) base of them all, hence probably the least likely to 'fall over sideways'!

What annoyed me was that they were proposing to replace the 'recalled' chair with a similar one that had an appreciably narrower base and hence, to mind mind, more 'dangerous' in terms of risk of 'falling over sideways'.

Kind Regards, John

Hmmm. I would have thought that, if it were going to be used 'outdoors', most people would realise and expect that it could end up soaking wet or, in the cold conditions cited, covered in snow and/or ice, and thereby potentially 'slippery'
Indeed so, as seems so often to be the case. However, my fear is that all this "protecting the backsides" of manufacturers/suppliers may well create complacency and, by virtue of the "crying wolf" phenomenon, result in people not taking seriously the warnings/recalls that really mattered.

A year or two ago I had an argument with technical folk at Argos about a highchair that my daughter had which they were trying to persuade her had to be returned for 'replacement' because of a 'recall'. The manufacturer had apparently decided that there was a risk of it "falling over sideways'. However, some tedious research on their website revealed that Argos was then offering about 40 highchairs of similar design, height and weight, but that the 'recalled' one had the widest (side-to-side) base of them all, hence probably the least likely to 'fall over sideways'!

What annoyed me was that they were proposing to replace the 'recalled' chair with a similar one that had an appreciably narrower base and hence, to mind mind, more 'dangerous' in terms of risk of 'falling over sideways'.

Kind Regards, John

The mat was sold as being suitable for exterior use (under a sheltered cover)

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-natural-coir-door-mat-l-1-1m-w-0-8m/1310530_BQ.prd

If the underside becomes rigid, and slippery because of low temperatures, who is to blame? I very much doubt that a recall would take place because of snow on top of an item that is a described as being designed to be used under a shelter.

The mat was sold as being suitable for exterior use (under a sheltered cover)
Fair enough.
If the underside becomes rigid, and slippery because of low temperatures, who is to blame? I very much doubt that a recall would take place because of snow on top of an item that is a described as being designed to be used under a shelter.
I suppose that it depends what is meant by 'sheltered' (it is described as "Weather-resistant"), but if the top surface got wet then, under cold conditions, ice might form on the top ... and ice is 'slippery'.

Whatever, it represents a degree of 'nannying" that I do not personally want/need/expect.

I'm much more concerned about the highchair issue I mentioned - when, presumably in the name of 'protecting their backsides', they wanted to replace my daughter's chair with one which I personally regard as 'more dangerous'.

Kind Regards, John

It seems the problem was the isolator failing to isolate.
So turning it off is pointless,
says between meter and main consumer unit
So there is clearly a second isolator inside the consumer unit, and to replace it would require the DNO to draw the fuse. If this was published by Screwfix I would say OK fair enough, they are only forwarding on information, but "Electrical Safety First" should have published more information.

.... If this was published by Screwfix I would say OK fair enough, they are only forwarding on information, but "Electrical Safety First" should have published more information ....
Quite so - and, as I said, also given more thought to giving sensible issue-relevant advice, rather than the 'rubber stamp' statement of ".... stop using it immediately and contact the retailer for further advice."

Kind Regards, John

So turning it off is pointless,

So there is clearly a second isolator inside the consumer unit, and to replace it would require the DNO to draw the fuse. If this was published by Screwfix I would say OK fair enough, they are only forwarding on information, but "Electrical Safety First" should have published more information.
They don't exactly fill me with confidence, when they say:
Screenshot_20220102-165940_Chrome.jpg

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back