B & q kitchen drawer fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This kitchen drawer was supposed to be a cutlery drawer installed and designed by the above company, however as you can see it is a not a cutlery drawer at all and a massive waste of space. How could I make this space better with a DIY hack? I am not interested in going back to the store to sort it

Attachments

• 20230816_174501.jpg
    20230816_174501.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20230816_174509.jpg
    20230816_174509.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
That drawer looks too deep to be a cutlery drawer, which are normally fairly shallow, and may have fitted cutlery insert, so I'd agree with @carmanmemoranda that it is an undersink storage drawer and that the gap in the middle is designed to be l occupied by the sink bowl when the drawer is closed.

Assuming there is a sink there I wouldn't install a drawer base as recommended by DIY Nugget - partly because there is no back to the middle part of the drawer, partly because you'd never get the drawer shut afterwards (because the sink bowl gets in the way) and partly because the mickey mouse angle brackets he recommends are probably not man enough to hold the weight of a drawer full of cutlery

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Yes it is under the sink but I wasn't informed it would be like that. However when it is closed you can see from underneath when you pull out the bottom drawer there is a really big gap between the drawer and the sink itself

Have a google image search for under sink drawer
Most look similar. Some have a bit of storage across the front.

Not all sinks are the same size and shape. Not practical for B&Q, etc to have different sink drawers for each type of sink.

Where do you think storage could be added that wont interfere with the sink and pipes/waste?
Take a pic from underneath with the drawer closed

Who said it was going to be a cutlery drawer? Did you want it to be, but without understanding under sink drawers?

Who designed the kitchen?

I can't work out which drawer the op wants to use for cutlery:
is it one of the two pulled out drawers with household bits in them or the mid-section which is too low for that purpose?

Assuming there is a sink there I wouldn't install a drawer base as recommended by DIY Nugget - partly because there is no back to the middle part of the drawer, partly because you'd never get the drawer shut afterwards and partly because the mickey mouse angle brackets he recommends are probably not man enough to hold the weight of a drawer full of cutlery
Don't you think the OP is man enough to know if he has room for a base? He could use the same brackets to attach a back board for the base. Given the stuff you can see there, you really think he would put cutleries there? Your lack of feel for what is appropriate is astounding.

Below the sink you have some drain pipes that also get in the way, whatever you put in must clear those too.

In order for anyone to help you a shot looking into the cabinet is needed. You might need to unclip the drawer and remove it to get a clear photo?

Did the design drawings and pick list show it as a cutlery drawer? If yes then get back to them and howl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back