B&q self cutting outside tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I have installed this last summer and worked ok at the time. During the winter, it had not been used at all for at least 5 - 6 months.

I tried to use it last week, but no water was coming out when opened the tap.

What could be wrong, and where do I have to look to sort it? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What could be wrong, and where do I have to look to sort it? Thanks in advance.

I think I have found your problem...

B&q self cutting outside tap

Look to sort it by fitting a proper one

Jon

Edit: I'm also assuming you have no check valve, no means of isolation and no drain off point and the install does not comply with water regs too.

Id guess there's a single check valve in the tap which froze over winter and is now fecked

It could be possible the piece that was cut away by the self cutting device has blocked up the tap .

Sponsored Links
Id guess there's a single check valve in the tap which froze over winter and is now fecked

No doubt but that still does not comply with water regs.

It could be possible the piece that was cut away by the self cutting device has blocked up the tap .

Thats almost a given. Bearing in mind you only get left with a 6-7mm hole if it clears completely they are a waste of space of space, do not comply and are bloody useless. Advice given is to do the job properly and comply with regs while having a fully functioning tap. There is a reason that a fully compliant outside tap costs in the region of £80 to £105 pounds supplied and fitted and not £12 from B&Poo.

Jon

No doubt but that still does not comply with water regs.

Thats almost a given. Bearing in mind you only get left with a 6-7mm hole if it clears completely they are a waste of space of space, do not comply and are bloody useless. Advice given is to do the job properly and comply with regs while having a fully functioning tap. There is a reason that a fully compliant outside tap costs in the region of £80 to £105 pounds supplied and fitted and not £12 from B&Poo.

Jon
The problem is that B & Q sell these taps that are not compliant with water regs, the customer is unaware they are fitting a unit to the water supply that is not fit for the job .

Although they are poor quality, I believe they have a double check valve and isolator as part of the self cutting tap assembly so they do comply with regs. Having said that, I wouldn't use one. Advise replacement with a properly installed tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back