B&Q Selling Consumer units

Seems fairly straightforward to me. Boiler installation must be done by CORGI registered folk, therefore not DIY. B&Q is a DIY store, ergo it should not sell boilers.

Who told you that? Anyone who is competent is entitled as long as its not for someone else whos paying you. If its your boiler (from B&Q for instance) and your house you can. Just get a Corgi chap to commission and test it, that way your guarantee will be valid and you know its safe.

Sponsored Links
thats what I have done twice now in two different houses.

It seem not all CORGI guys are wanting to do that unless they have done the install themselves. I dont see an issue with that either as all the instructions are there to install it correctly and it isnt rocket science to install it as per specs, just need a bit more info/experience and a certificate to commission it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't advise just anyone attempt it - its not childsplay...I have done lots of non gas plumbing and pipefitting over the years for a living - working under the direction and supervision of heating engineers and plumbers who are Corgi registered - thats different to a total layman with a leaflet and a B&Q boiler ;)

This is also why I have no difficulty finding someone to commission and test my DIY gaswork - I work with them :idea:

Going back to the OP

Legally you can't buy cocaine or handguns.

If I went into Birmingham with £500 I bet I could get both - not that I would try!

All you do is drive the trade underground and allow crimilals to make money from it (Headline - Police seize lorryload of stolen CUs and MCBs, worth millions on black market).

Sponsored Links
Also going back to the OP & pointing out from the start that I'm a DIY-er (one with a reasonable level of knowledge but that knows own limits)

As pointed out by some other posters, the law allows anyone to fit a CU. Though most of the population could only legally do this via the pre-notification route/BCO signoff. So anyone wanting to go down that route would reasonably look to B&Q etc to purchase the bits... B&Q are only fulfulling legal demand.

I do agree though that some of the "howto" leaflets can make things look far too easy. I've not seen if there is a "howto change CU" leaflet but as a reasonably proficient DIYer, I'd not even consider doing a CU change (even via pre-notification) no matter how simple a leaflet makes it seem.

Perhaps the issue is more about educating the masses to have more respect for the danger associated with doing it wrong. Few people try doing their own foundation underpinning ... perhaps cos they realise the house could fall on them if they get it wrong. Similarly I suspect many DIYers that do things beyond their capability are doing so because they've never learned or understood the risks.

I'm also suprised the number of my friends/colleagues that have homes & do DIY that have low knowledge of the Part P "rules". Some think they can't do *anything* (I bet you pro sparks love that!) whilst others dont seem to know it exists at all... The Part P rules themselves are not actually that complicated to get a broad understanding of what is/isn't notifiable. Perhaps the DIY sheds should do more work producing guides to Part P - though that could infer some liability on their interpretation, but surely no more than advising how to install a CU?

To those that want to make purchasing CUs "controlled", I can see their point (though I would disgree... but as a DIYer you'd expect that!). Only let people proficient enough buy them. IF that were a good idea it would have to be accompanied by some kind of home-owner compentance scheme to encourage DIYers to undertake some level of formal education in return for a slighly relaxed Part P regime for doing own-home-only work.

That's just my £1 worth...

The problem is that having qualifications doesn't guarantee competence, and not having a qualification doesn't mean somebody isn't competent. Lots of people have driving licenses, if they were all competent, there would be a lot less road accidents. It's all about acting responsibly, for which there is no qualifition.
If places like B&Q didn't sell things like consumer units, then people would just get them from trade outlets or "from a mate". I'm a DIYer and I usually buy stuff from trade places.

I'd not even consider doing a CU change
I don't really see what is so hard about changing your CU. As long as you either have an isolator already, get the DNO out or know how to safely handle service fuses and you make the connections nice and tight and you keep the ratings the same you shouldn't have any problems or make the installation any less safe than it was already.

Also rememeber that CUs especially smaller ones are used for things other than the main incoming point.

If places like B&Q didn't sell things like consumer units, then people would just get them from trade outlets or "from a mate". I'm a DIYer and I usually buy stuff from trade places.

Or worse... from car boot sales... a colleague referred to buying TRVs at a car boot sale for £5 each... Imagine getting a £10 cheap import CU complete with all the (so the seller says) necessary gubbins??? Hmmm... Suddenly the DIY sheds seem so much better!

WRT qualifications not guarenteeing compentanc,e, if there was at least an eentry point / incentive for DIYers to do some formal learning then people should at least have better ability to judge their limit - rather than continue in blissful ignorance (whether doing so legally or not).

They also sell gas boilers, soil stacks, sharp bladed implements, chainsaws, grinding wheels and heavy blocks

All of which can cause problems if you use them in a dangerous or incompetant way

Aye - so few are harmed by electrical installations that given the limited taxpayer's budget, it ain't worth doing anything about it as versus circular saws or 71 on the motorway... ;)

As an added bouns, electrocutions are inexpensive - dead, or not dead - unlike say a circular saw injury say where you continue to cost money in helathcare and disability costs.

I choose them as an example becuase you can fit an "RCD" (or it's capacitive equivalent) - a mature technology that clearly makes economic sense - but it still doesn't get made mandatory.

http://www.sawstop.com/

Something with no economic justification? You're dreaming boys, dreaming, unless you group together, stick your hands in your pockets, and make a giant marketing investment in the way that corgi does.

DIY boilers? If using a labourer for all the grunt work nailing the hardware in, with a qualified guy planning and comissioning is legal, so is using a DIYer doing the grunt work, and it makes sense for B&Q to flog 'em. They also help you guys indirectly by dropping boiler prices through market clout. Viridian are the real ones to watch though - once they start shipping a panel/boiler/cylinder combo the makert will turn upside down! :eek:

Changing a CU is pretty easy, if you are careful, methodical, and have learned how to do it.

However, knowing some of the extra things you have to do, or knowing what you dont know, is harder.

Doing the tests is quite a lot of work, and some is impossible without special (and expensive) instruments.

Agreed - I have done one as a DIYer.

In Derby back in the days when you could do everything yourself without supervision except connect the tails to the Meter - MEB came in to do that. A Hager split load unit was fitted - in 1991!

He commented that MY "DIY" installation had the best readings he had ever seen! Took a day to do the supplementary bonding in the bathroom (Iron bath, lead wastes . . . . )

I'd not even consider doing a CU change
I don't really see what is so hard about changing your CU. As long as you either have an isolator already, get the DNO out or know how to safely handle service fuses and you make the connections nice and tight and you keep the ratings the same you shouldn't have any problems or make the installation any less safe than it was already.

Also rememeber that CUs especially smaller ones are used for things other than the main incoming point.

I was meaning the main incoming CU, rather than any "downstream" ones -- which I'd try to do myself (though how's that classed for part P? (notifiable or not?) If a secondary cu was just covering a single circuit already protected at the main cu?)

With regards the main CU, I think it's probably very "do-able" but I recognise that as an untrained person I dont have the benefit of being taught best practises. So whilst i "could probably" do it, it's a size of job I'd prefer to leave to the pros. (unlike the aforementioned shoppers in B&Q that really didn't know but were gonna have a go anyway).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back