Back Board Supplier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to have some building work done in my house in a few months time. As part of the prep Scottish Power will move the supply cable a few feet. Speaking with the SP assessor, its an easy job but I'll need to have a back board on the wall for them to screw their bits to.

I've not spotted this type of board it in screwfix or TLC. Am I searching for the wrong thing?

And, yes I know my sparky should be able to source some for me, but right now, finding a sparky who'll turn up at an hours notice to reconnect the tails is proving either difficult.

Sponsored Links
It's their meter, they will be moving it, so what they think is all that matters.

Ask them what you should use.

Most would be happy with a piece of 18mm plywood, or even chipboard, but as BAS said, it's up to your supplier.
What is the meter and cutout mounted on at the moment?

It may be a better approach to find a spark first, and ask them to arrange the appointment with your supplier.

Some would install an isolator to connect the meter tails to, so further work can be done afterwards without the need for isolation at the supplier's cutout.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought - if you're paying them to move the supply is there no way get it moved outside?

Just a thought - if you're paying them to move the supply is there no way get it moved outside?

The cable pops up in the garage and they're moving it for free. Well 'free' is £175 to fit an isolation switch so fair enough.

If I thought the cable ran alongside the house then into the garage I might be tempted to go for an outside box, but I've no idea where the cable runs. If I ever convert the garage then I'll get someone to dig about for me.

Nice to see that Jewson country wide keeps to the same customer standards as in the SE :LOL:

I like White Laminated chipboard, as used for kitchen worktops. It is very easy to keep clean and the melamine surface will not support a flame. You can use a board that has plenty of room round it, in case you want to fit anything else on the board later.

Preferably space it off the wall by 20mm or so. A very cheap way to to this is to use the plastic tops off soft-drink bottles or similar, drill a hole through them to pass the screw through behind the board. That gives room to pass cables behind the board. Other people use scraps of plastic pipe.

To screw it securely to a wall that is a bit crumbly, use good long round-headed screws into plasplugs pushed into no-more-nails or similar in the holes you drilled.

If UU move their equipment, they supply a board & it's usually a bit of chip...

What equipment is going on this board?

What equipment is going on this board?

AFAIK, supply cable, 80A supply fuse, new isolator switch and the meter. Depending on the final position, perhaps the consumer units when they're replaced as part of another unthought through future phase. Mind you, knowing my luck, all the cables will need replacing because they'll be just a little bit too short.

suppliers do not like Consumer units being fitted to their board.

They usually supply the board themselves, and say they are entitled to take away the board and anything fitted to it at whim for replacement purposes (this is usually head and meter)

they don't generally mind an earth block, isolator or Henley though.

It was a backboard for a consumer unit I was thinking of when I mentioned laminated worktop.

Backboards used to be spaced off the wall to prevent damp getting to the board, making it rot or fall off. I doubt this is still a problem in modern houses, but the spacing does allow you lead in cables neatly from behind. I have some old-fashioned habits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back