Consumer unit move and plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a timing dilemma I’d appreciate some advice on. I’m on my last room of a complete refurb of an old bungalow. It had a new consumer unit fitted 12 months ago but strangely it’s in the outdoor porch which I don’t like and want to move it indoors. I am hoping this will be relatively straight forward as all the cables are routed in the brick wall cavity and the new location is on the inside of the same wall about 2 feet higher, so majority cables should be long enough to just swap over. My dilemma however is I also need to re-plaster the new location room as the old cement plaster is falling off and am wondering what to do first. Most obvious i think is to fix before plastering (dot and dab) as I can easily remove a few bricks to make the rerouting of the cables even easier for the sparkie, then brick the gap back up and plaster after. But I’m not sure how the unit would be mounted in this case. Do I fix batons to the brick and a backboard at about the depth I’m expecting the boards to be fixed at then let the plaster board to that? Or is there a better option I’ve not though of. The unit will be housed in a cupboard so not too worried about the aesthetics. Any views appreciated so I can have a more informed conversation with my Electrician when he comes to view the job…

Sponsored Links
Let the sparkie decide in the chasing route and depth, has he quoted to bury the cable or will he assume trunking is adequate?

Blup

The cables are already in the cavity behind the wall the unit will be moved to. It will simply pull through once I remove a couple of bricks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back