BAck boiler service

It is part of BG's SOP's to FGA back boilers, at least it was a couple of years ago.
wont do any harm but wont prove anything either, I was always told that you cant rely on FGA test on a boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger that boiler must be inspected, Like lots of things Fireman just because BG decide its OK doesnt mean that it is , I know of a case where a BG operative stuck a FGA probe up a baxi fire and BBU flue and told the customer that it had 17 PPM CO so she needed a new boiler and he would get a salesman to call, only came to light when the elderly customers son called Baxi to ask if this was correct

Sponsored Links
@b21playa have you sorted anything yet? I used to be tamworth but have moved. Could sort you a guy out if you needed it.

I used to do BCC contract so know all the boilers round there. Numbers on my profile if you want me to try and sort something for you. PM me your details and I'll give you a bell for future reference.

Jon

Arhh, just glanced through the thread and I'm a 6 digit RGI!

Bugger! I've only been doing this nigh on 20 years too!

Guess a number means everything?

Jon

wont do any harm but wont prove anything either, I was always told that you cant rely on FGA test on a boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger that boiler must be inspected, Like lots of things Fireman just because BG decide its OK doesnt mean that it is , I know of a case where a BG operative stuck a FGA probe up a baxi fire and BBU flue and told the customer that it had 17 PPM CO so she needed a new boiler and he would get a salesman to call, only came to light when the elderly customers son called Baxi to ask if this was correct

Agreed, I was just saying.

With BG, if there as any available orifice, you have to probe it

Sponsored Links

Bugger! I've only been doing this nigh on 20 years too!
Me as well Plus more, though I did re-register. Back boilers are avoided here like the plague I know not why. Hardest part is turning the gas oft and getting the fire off. Lots to do checking stuff ventilation and removing the cellophane or cardboard:rolleyes: , scrabble in loft to check the flue system, running outside to check the smoke bomb on multiple flue stacks etc, etc.

The He models are a doodle and you can use an FGA on these.

Guess a number means everything?

Jon

So am I a six figure now.

But my first CORGI number was a 5 digit.

Pity I could not keep the original number to be able to work on BBUs.

Bermuda? Just needs a strip down and a good clean. Would suggest if its rented it had the LLGS every year and not much else.

So long as ventilation is ok and the integrity of the flue can be varied and its serviced as per the manu's instructions and as long as the HX isn't compromised it will be good to go.

So you may get dirty and need a hoover but they are easier to play with than setting some steamer up into chimney sweep and altering the Co2......... in my opinion anyway

I did not get the job as he has no need to heat the flat as he does not use it apart from a little storage.

Fireman T followed by Dan as above.

Generally true for people who were first registered then.

But the exposure to BBUs depends very much on the area. For example there are many in the Cov area. Very few left in London thank goodness.

Only been called to one in the last year and that was very old indeed. Advised better to have a new boiler fitted in kitchen for about £1450. But it was a flat he owned but did not use.

Tony

Tony, If you are going to quote me, then please have the decency to read the posts properly.

Interested too in how you were going to relocate a BBU into a kitchen on 9m of 22 and a bit of cable. I can't think of a single job similar where I've managed that.

Last edited:
Why would you not Fga a bbu?, I don't get the logic. You are going to spend 90 minutes cleaning it why wouldn't you quickly stick your probe in before you do final spillage to make sure you get a decent reading?

Why would you not Fga a bbu?, I don't get the logic. You are going to spend 90 minutes cleaning it why wouldn't you quickly stick your probe in before you do final spillage to make sure you get a decent reading?
Its not a requirement.;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back