Backyard crazy golf idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to DIY in general. I thought this might be a good place to pick up some tips and sound out new ideas.

So onto my first idea for you guys! I'm hoping to make a cheap crazy golf course in the garden. I feel like the barebones of it could be made relatively easily. It would be such a great thing to have both for kids and adults!

The idea is to use pallets as a base for each hole, topped with 3mm hardboard to provide a smooth playing surface. This would give the hole enough elevation to install a hole cup while still being sturdy enough to walk on.

I'm thinking 3mm hardboard would also be flexible enough to install ramps and humps. Ideally I would like to line it with astro turf but I think cheap felt is more realistic, or green paint even more realistic!

Do you think this could work? Do you see any major pitfalls in my plan? Getting wet could be a problem I think.

Sponsored Links
not with 3mm hard it wont.youll end up constantly falling through it,think you will have to use 18mm either wpb or marine ply,the cost will be prohibitive.start looking through free ads etc for materials that are no longer needed and some imagination and it could be doable.
dont forget the dinos and clowns etc.
if you were closer id like to have a go :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
not with 3mm hard it wont.youll end up constantly falling through it,think you will have to use 18mm either wpb or marine ply,the cost will be prohibitive.start looking through free ads etc for materials that are no longer needed and some imagination and it could be doable.
dont forget the dinos and clowns etc.
if you were closer id like to have a go :LOL: :LOL:
The 3mm hardboard will be laid on top of pallets. I don't think it would be possible to fall through.

Basically, a few of these, maybe 3, providing a long rectangle base with hardboard fastened to it.
Wooden_pallet_with_glove.jpg

I suppose what I was getting at is, you'll spend £££ and ages doing it, it will be rubbish, and you (and the kids) will use it once. Better off spending less to take the family to the real thing!

By the by, the best one I ever went to (and I love crazy golf) was in Florida, right on I-Drive. I remember it had a crashed plane in the middle....the Americans really do that sort of thing well.

I suppose what I was getting at is, you'll spend £££ and ages doing it, it will be rubbish, and you (and the kids) will use it once. Better off spending less to take the family to the real thing!

By the by, the best one I ever went to (and I love crazy golf) was in Florida, right on I-Drive. I remember it had a crashed plane in the middle....the Americans really do that sort of thing well.
Your pessimism is duly noted. ;)

Unfortunately the two local crazy golf courses round here have closed. Besides, half the fun is in the journey! I'm determined to give it a go either way and I'll use whatever free materials I can to do it.

bloody hell BIG do you do any work?or are you just on forums? :LOL: :LOL:

i went from a 59 year old semi retired chippie a year ago to now a a semi working retired chippie at 60 now
so i now only do the nice interesting jobs or about 10-15 hrs a week average :cool:
but i dont need to do anything as very massive £73 a week railway pension will just about keep me fed and watered :D :D

YOU LAZY b'stard. :LOL:
fair play m8ty,dont you go wasting it now on a lambo or a porsch etc, ;)

YOU LAZY b'stard. :LOL:
fair play m8ty,dont you go wasting it now on a lambo or a porsch etc, ;)

nah thats for people taking there pension pot next year
i had to settle for 24k or 1/4 off my pot but thats way more than enough :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back