Bad Eye Prescription second opinion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently had a mistake made in an examination (admitted by optician), this was followed by a second examination by the same optician. The revised prescription was then applied to my original frames. I still was not happy with the lenses and asked for another examination, this was done by another optician in the same firm and was again different from the 1st and 2nd prescriptions. Again the frames were sent away for the revised lenses. These are the specs I am wearing now and I am still not fully satisfied with the vision in one eye. I would now like a second opinion from another firm, how do I go about this please. The latest lenses are about a month old, they are vari-focals. I am in possession of three prescriptions all within 2 months of each other. I am over 70.

Sponsored Links
I'd take all 3 scripts to somewhere like Boots and ask their advice. This is a building forum.

they are vari-focals.
I just couldn't get on with Varifocal after a month so I went back to Bifocal.

They're some poor quality about and the varifocal seem to have loads of drawbacks from reviews although there're many happy people with them but most them did say can take over a month to get used to it.

At the end of the day I think the most important is a good recommended Optician, I tend to stay away from the cheap High Street Opticians

Sponsored Links
I had varifocals from Specsavers about 5 yrs ago. 2 pairs of glasses for the price of one. One pair were absolutely great, yet the other pair just never seemed right. I believe it's something to do with the way the lens is centred within the frame.

I bought a pair of specs from Specsavers and got an identical pair free - the idea being that after a year or so when the lenses became scratched and covered in paint specks, tile adhesive and dust- I could then wear my nice new glasses. Last month I decided to wear my new ones and found that although the frames look exactly the same, they are infact about 5mm smaller in width and feel too tight. Too late to take them back now.

I think the problem with eye tests is that they make you wear those heavy frame things so that they can swap the lenses around which tend to sit on the end of your nose. In reality, most people wear their frames higher which changes the view through the lenses.

Many thanks to Terence, Masona, JoinerJohn and Squeaky for their replies.

Well, that's very good of you to offer me a £100 compensation !! (I think that's what you wrote)

Had this very problem myself with Specsavers. TWICE.
1st time was about 4 years ago with reading glasses. Like looking through beer bottle bottoms. Demanded 2nd opinion from the optician who usually examined me - her comment was "who the hell prescribed you these?"

2nd time was last year for varifocals. Couldn't see a bloody thing, kept banging my head at work. Had to turn my head about 20 degrees to the left to see anything in front of me. All they said was i had to give it time to get used to them.
Told them to shove it and got my money back.

Went to Boots, all sorted.

well, my sister is an optician, not that that qualifies me in the slightest. but varifocals are not for everyone... bifocals are sometimes better, unfortunately all eyes are different. that said, you should not of course be labouring under unacceptable glasses, but there also has to be a realisation that your eyesight deteriorates over time, glasses will never be able to give you the eyesight you had in your youth.

If your really unhappy still it is best to get a referral to an opthalmic surgeon, rather than an optician who will be able to make a more in depth assesment of your eyesight, this is something that it routine in Scotland, but not in England.

After having bifocals I now find varifocals so much easier.

yottie about a month ago i spent a weekend in high lawton in a cottage,and enjoyed my walks around that part of the lake district. it did wonders for my eyes (and my heart but oh my legs and lungs)

well, my sister is an optician, not that that qualifies me in the slightest. but varifocals are not for everyone... bifocals are sometimes better, unfortunately all eyes are different. that said, you should not of course be labouring under unacceptable glasses, but there also has to be a realisation that your eyesight deteriorates over time, glasses will never be able to give you the eyesight you had in your youth.

If your really unhappy still it is best to get a referral to an opthalmic surgeon, rather than an optician who will be able to make a more in depth assesment of your eyesight, this is something that it routine in Scotland, but not in England.
Or just see an optician who knows what they are doing. Even a simple task like measuring the distance of the eyes to centre of nose is beyond our local specsavers.

Or just see an optician who knows what they are doing. Even a simple task like measuring the distance of the eyes to centre of nose is beyond our local specsavers.

That's simply not true, that part is automated.

Sponsored Links
Back