Bad memory - bad blood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was changing into my shoes at the golf club on Friday and spoke to an elderly member who seemed to ignore me. I have done building work for this man in the past.

I spoke louder so he could hear me, when he replied "i won't make conversation with a man prepared to rip me off!"
I confronted him about it, totally confused and did not know what he was talking about. He claimed i had overcharged him for "a little roofing job".

The job was 10 years ago.

Luckily i kept records and had a look through them when i got home. Sure enough i found the job and revealed we had worked at his house for just under 3 days, but i could not remember exactly what it was we had done. So, i phoned him.

He said "i have the bill here and it stated plastering sand, bell bead, cullamix...etc etc.."

I immediately remembered that we had rendered and tyrolened the entire side of his long garage as well as roofing work and other sundries. Straight away i mentioned this to him. He was silent for a couple of seconds and said "i don't remember you doing that!"

The next day i wrote him a letter asking him to either clarify where i had ripped him off or to accept he had made a mistake. He returned from a short holiday last night, phoned me and apologized humbly and unreservedly.

This man held a grudge for 10 years and never confronted me. By the way, he is a retired bank manager! :rolleyes: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Noseall, perhaps time to introduce a feedback form? We do that, and keep in contact with clients on average once every six months.
Better to hear complaints early on and correct them (one way or the other, sometimes it is indeed a matter of misunderstanding) than have situations like you described.

Works wonders for word of mouth too (your client could have badmouthed you for 10 years, instead of saying either nothing or saying good things)

Sponsored Links
Back