Bad Practices Number One

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This I hope to be the first in a series of bad practices, not necessarily dangerous, but frowned upon by a "proper" spark.

I see this one a lot. Why effectively reduce the CSA of the cable by not connecting all the strands, I do not know. Why not crimp on a lug: surely that takes less time than faffing around like they have done here?

If anyone has pictures of similar bad practices, feel free to post them here, then maybe when a library is built up, it could go into the wiki.

Bad Practices - Number One: Incorrct termination of conductor.

BadPracticeNumberOne.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is how we were taught to do it at college.

The reason given by the tutor:

As there is an equal number of strands under each side of the screw, the screw will grip the cable better than if there were 4 well gripped strands to one side of the screw, and 3 not so well gripped strands at the other side.

He also reckoned it doesn't really reduce the effective CSA of the conductor :confused:

Personally I lug earths into earth clamps (unless it is an unbroken MEB)

Number 2; not knowing how to wire a plug !
Found this while p.A.Testing

plug1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Number 4 (last one for tonight); socket on the ringmain with multiple spurs / old non harmonised cables used for spurs + all the rest you can see all done by a napit registered kitchen fitter apparently.
Found during cu swap (kitchen fitter said he wasnt qualified to do cu change so get a fully qualified sparks in for that & then the cu change cert would cover his work......how nice).

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/DSC00003.jpg

Better quality pic than mine RF.
Dont know if you can see it but on my picture the phase conductor is trapped under the fuse terminal so by passing the fuse altogether.

Number 5. First one of the morning :)

Old lighting pendant base used as termination for downlights. And other sins - especially single insulated conductors outside the enclosure.
Enjoy especially the live conductors joined outside the box using one of those old ceramic widgets.

This lot was sited just where you put your hand as you get to the top of the loft ladder too. :rolleyes:

30Harwoodroad001-1.jpg

I think you are confused re Part P. PP is not a wiring standard.

However all of the above should have been done to the appropriate standards (B7671 typically).

everything is covered by part P.. it's just that some things are notifiable and some are not..

the actual part P law..
P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations in order to protect persons from fire or injury.

everything else is just a list of what does or does not require building control consent to do..

they just oversee that you are doing it properly..

That is correct now ColJack. My post was referring to the wonderful examples that (it seems) were installed prior to the invention of Part P.

At that time there certainly were wiring and safety standards (and common sense).

Anyways, more pics please!

You could start a web album with them on or put them in Sparky Heaven etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back