Bad Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got a problem with the mixer taps on my bath. When I turn the taps on a small amount of water comes out and then evenutally it grinds to a stop (on both hot and cold).

I've a combi-boiler system and all other taps (H&C) in the house are working OK.

Is it a case of an airlock within the bad tap and to resolve the problem do I simply flush the air out by using a hose connected to the dodgy tap and a working tap?

Thanks in advance

John

Sponsored Links
no....that wont help.

the cold will be at mains pressure to ur bath and so is the hot water albeit slowed down some to heat the water. so an air lock does not seem like the likely suspect.

must be some debri in the tap or washers gone or similar. can u isolate the pipework just before the taps and tale them off and have a look or turn the mains water off and have a look by undoing the tap valves

Is it by any chance one of those bath mixer taps with a shower, and a knob to turn the flow from bath to shower outlet?

JohnD said:
Is it by any chance one of those bath mixer taps with a shower, and a knob to turn the flow from bath to shower outlet?

John,

It is a shower/tap mixer. The problem occurs with it on the shower setting or on the tap setting.

Do you think the problem lies within the tap unit?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
JPC said:
no....that wont help.

the cold will be at mains pressure to ur bath and so is the hot water albeit slowed down some to heat the water. so an air lock does not seem like the likely suspect.

must be some debri in the tap or washers gone or similar. can u isolate the pipework just before the taps and tale them off and have a look or turn the mains water off and have a look by undoing the tap valves

Thanks for your help Jamie.

Its a bit of a pain to get behind the taps - previous occupant put some nice wooden panelling everywhere but I'll take it off and have a look.

I'd suspect that the change-over valve is moving about and blocking the flow. I suppose it is possible that you've got a huge piece of debris blocking the tap, but it seems less likely to me as you say that both hot and cold are stopping.

JohnD said:
I'd suspect that the change-over valve is moving about and blocking the flow. I suppose it is possible that you've got a huge piece of debris blocking the tap, but it seems less likely to me as you say that both hot and cold are stopping.

Thanks John,

I'll try and take the mixer apart and see if anything is amiss.

John

Give the knob a bit of a jiggle with the taps on, and see if that makes any difference, first. that may give some clues and will be the easiest thing to try. Start easy, work up to difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back