Bad tarmac job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a bit of a Google but couldn't find much info. Basically I built a block paved drive at the front of my house and paid my local council install the drop kerb, which has been completed today while I was out.

Just wondering if it's normal for the tarmac to be higher than the existing surface by about 1 cm at the edges? I kind of expected it would be flush with the existing footpath.

Attachments

• 13090073_10156903965410714_768691480_n.jpg
    13090073_10156903965410714_768691480_n.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 435
Sponsored Links
It'll wear down after all the grannies and small children trip over it :D

Better still if you trip over it and sue them - they laid it - their responsibility;)

Handlaying tarmac is a lot harder than it looks, you can never get it quite perfect. Not like concrete that you can fiddle with until you're happy. I did a stint helping on road repairs a few years ago on the Council, we always used to leave repairs slightly proud, it will consolidate over time and will wear in level.

Sponsored Links
that looks pretty good compared to my valley of tarmac... everyone who comes to do work at the house mentions how crap it is :)

Hmmm, just kind of expected better for £1100 really.

I've only paid half to date which gives me a bit of leverage on the Council I guess.

Looks fine to me, as mentioned it will bed down. If you're that worried just go out an belt it with a lump hammer a bit.

£1100 is quite cheap for a dropped kerb guess they must have got the cowboys in :D
It's not your responsibility for the path outside your house, it's what they have done and it's to their spec. You may be able to get someone out from the council to have a look at it but i doubt if they'd come out or do anything about it.
You could try running your car over it and see if it'll flatten it off a bit.

Thing is you don't own it so any damage you do could be classed as criminal, drving your car on it would be classed as normal use, hitting it with a hammer might not be seen this way :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back