Bad to wire a plug like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it bad to wire a UK plug like this - ie with a certain length of bare wire showing before each screw terminal?

Sponsored Links
Most plugs have a diagram on them showing you exactly what length to cut the wires at. If you do it this way you will have no exposed copper and its also easier to wire.

A good pair of wire cutters are essential though otherwise wiring a plug is just 20 minutes of swearing.

Is it bad to wire a UK plug like this?
crystalballlg.jpg

Sponsored Links
did you consider showing a picture of what you meant by "this"?

"ie with a certain length of bare wire showing before each screw terminal?"

I don't think a picture would be required, it's pretty self explanatory.

I see BAN is being is usual moronic self :rolleyes:

how long is "a certain length"?

Exactly.

I think some manufacturers instructions indicate about 1 mm of copper showing before the terminal.

All modern plugs seem to come with a space for excess wire out the other end of the terminal too.

Plug tops are made with clearance in them so that if there is a "certain length" of bare wire showing they are still safe, it is just bad practise to do so.

"ie with a certain length of bare wire showing before each screw terminal?"

I don't think a picture would be required, it's pretty self explanatory.
Don't think?

"Can't think", or "incapable of any mental process which could even loosely be described as thought" would be more appropriate.

The original post not only needs, but is written as if there is meant to be, an accompanying picture.

I see BAN is being is usual moronic self :rolleyes:
Oh, the irony of someone like you writing that.

Gotta say that I'm with BAS on this. Even liked the picture :LOL:

I suspect the OP meant to / failed to insert the pic in his post.

if someone is asking a safety related question we need to know the facts to give an accurate safe answer a little bit could be 1mm or 20mm
whilst i accept its more likely to be less than 10mm that is an assumption and can be so so wrong :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back