badly matched mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our builder did a good job with the stone work on our extension but didn't match the mortar colour. Can I touch up the mortar to make it blend in?
P1000665crop.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Jeez some folks are difficult to please! The mortar is just 'new' and not a lot wrong with the colour. Let's not forget the original has had time to age, for goodness sake.

Even if the builder were able to use exactly the same mortar that was on the original, they would still differ because of age.

Be patient.

I can barely tell!!!

The wonky guttering with the obvious step, and the mismatched ridge tiles are more noticeable.........

Sponsored Links
The guttering and ridge tiles are done now! The photo was taken before we finished those.
I think I must be worrying too much about the mortar! :oops:

I`d worry more about plastic gutter+ downpipe...hope you`ve got iron or ali looking like iron now ;)

What he could have done was leave the pointing until it was all finished and then made test swatches up balancing the cement, red sand and yellow sand and keeping a record of which mix was which. If it were done that way you'd never be able to pick the fresh from the old (well not without a closer look).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back