Badly-rusted Pulley Wheel -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a number of windows to restore in an old flat. The windows have not had a lot done to them over the years and, whilst the pulleys appear to be working ok, I'd like to replace where possible, especially if they're in the state below but...

• How would I get them out if the screws are badly rusted?
  • Is there likely to be damage to the wood that the screws go into?
  • Should I take the if-it-ain't-broke approach?

The wood is generally in great condition given the age and lack of protection (minimal paint). Cills are mostly rotten but sashes in particulary are really solid so far - hardwood I expect.

Sponsored Links
I would leave them in and paint the surrounds (not the wheel) you could have problems hitting solid timber for the new pulleys and they wont be the same size as the existing ones.
If you are not painting the the internal timber work i guess you may have to replace them just dont buy the new pulleys with nylon wheels they are cheap and nasty!

To remove clean the slot of the old screw out with a screw driver and hammer if you are lucky they may unwind if not you could drill the screws out or use brute force!

Just to add , try tightening the screw first it'll break a bond and will help the screw come out. Agree about the cheap wheels , get yourself the brass ones.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I'll have a go with the internal ones first as they don't look as bad. I'll go with brass which will look good with the natural wood as well. Hadn't thought about painting them so that's a good option if I can get rid of the rust.

Thanks for the tip re tightening the screw first - might make the difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back