Baffled by my Under Floor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First off an apology for what is likely to be a moronic question, however we've just moved into a new house and there are a bunch of things we are struggling to get our heads around and we're never explained.

In the fuse box we have a trip switch marked as underfloor heating and a control unit on the wall in the kitchen and bathroom that doesn't seem to do anything, as in they don't even turn on! I've removed it from the casing as I figured maybe the batteries had died but it doesn't have an obvious battery and it's all wired in and looks like it's powered by the electricity.

Thus I'm at a bit of a loss... We have a massive kitchen and as the temperature has bombed it'd be great to be able to warm the floor - plus I'm just a bit intrigued as to what the chuff is going on....

Thanks very much

Joe[/img]

Sponsored Links
you mention a trip switch. If this is in the consumer unit ("fusebox") it will be an MCB or an RCD. What letters and numbers are on it? Does it appear to be on or off? How wide is it?

Have you got a gas boiler?

Have you got an electricity meter with a timer and two readings? Like Economy 7?

I don't see anything like that manifold anywhere... I also seem to remember when we had a plumber round recently he mentioned that he thought it'd be warm pads rather than water !

I've also attached a couple of photos of the fuse box and switches.

Sorry for my ignorance but I know literally nothing about plumbing/electrics!

Thanks

Joe

Sponsored Links
looks like you have electric underfloor heating.

As the rcd is on i would hazard that you have another switch turned off somewhere else that provides the power. Often hidden in backs of kitchen cupboards. or on the wall behind where the stat is located

Ah brilliant - yeah I've pulled a few appliances out and found a switch behind the washing machine that appears to do something - unfortunately it doesn't seem to have any kind of digital display it just lights up green!

Does this just mean it's on or off and thus controlled by the mains thermostat?

Thanks very much for your help

Joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back