BAL mosaic tile adhesive & painted walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone used this stuff before to tile onto painted surfaces? I'm putting a mosaic splashback in the kitchen on recently plastered walls with a mist coat of emulsion & two coats of zinsser mould resistant paint on them (water based acrylic & latex). Paint seems to be well stuck, but don't know if it'll reduce the suction too much for the adhesive. :?:

Sponsored Links
tileref said:
will be fine, give the walls a coat of unibond first

Why unibond ontop of zinnser? I would have thought tile strait onto this.

Sponsored Links
Just for completion, I left the paint on - stuck like s*** to a blanket! Would thoroughly reccomend BAL mosaic adhesive for the little fella's, no slip at all and really nice to work with.

BAL... is the BOSS ...if you follow the recommends an advice on the packet

Beefcake Daddy can I just say a big thanks for the link you posted. On the "advice" of a neighbour my hubby bought some PVA yesterday to prime our ensuite walls prior to getting the tiler in. Luckily he hasn't used it yet.
I don't know why he listened to him in the first place since the reason we have had to replace some of the walls is because when my hubby tiled the room previously (without having used PVA as a primer) the tiles were firmly stuck on and the when we removed them a lot of the plasterboard came with them.
Anyway I sure glad I read the thread before any harm was done.

Glad to be of help Pam :) Lord knows I've had plenty of it from many people on this site, nice to have a reply saying I've given something back :D Hope your tiling goes well.

BAL... is the BOSS ...if you follow the recommends an advice on the packet

Agree with you 100% Moz, all I've ever used and always turns out spot on.

Don't forget a couple of coats of PVA cures all problems and ills known to man

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back