Balanced flue will be inside conservatory

ok ok I apologise for taking the p :D , but in my own defense your having a bespoke conservatory built and your asking about the cheapest boiler that b+ poo have in stock ;)

Sponsored Links
No, it's not a bespoke conservatory (ha! I wish!). It's a self-build. From scratch.

Looking at the various recommendations on here, including in the stickies/FAQs, some of the commenters do list Biasi and Heatline as decent machines. BUT I know others don't like them. Of course I want a decent boiler but equally I don't want to get more than we need to run a handful of rads and fill a HW cylinder. It would be nice to have a combi boiler but I presume that would need so much work it would be beyond our budget, whereas having a new boiler similar to our old one, but in a slightly different location, would be pretty straightforward. I just came on here to get some sort of idea before we get plumbers in for quotes. :)

Looking at the various recommendations on here, including in the stickies/FAQs, some of the commenters do list Biasi and Heatline as decent machines.

The older biasi combis were ok, but asfaik the only heat only they do now is the activa or whatever its called which is a brand new design so if you fancy being a guinea pig... and lord knows who's been recommending heatlines!

Sponsored Links
heatline are a bag they went bankrupt glowworm bought them out
parts are so expensive cheaper to buy new boiler

A £400 Boiler WILL cost a fortune in spares in the long runb (thats how the cheapo boiler maker makes up the shortfall!!!) expect to pay about £600 for a half decent boiler, that will be reliable and parts will also be affordable ;)

depends on money as ever. I only fit worcester, paid £1,400 just for the boiler and flue today for a 42cdi combi trade inc vat. can get a boiler for £400. A combi may be no dearer than a replacement conventional boiler as they cost the same to buy and if you are moving it its hard to say.

If you go for the cheap boiler make sure you also go for the cheap installation price, normally these guys don't speak English and will give you a price that no one can come close to, they won't bother with any tests to see if you need to upgrade your gas pipe. Not only that they will also re-tile your bathroom included in the price.

Andy

realistically you need to be looking at a decent quality boiler so that rules out the cheap rubbish from a diy shed and avoid Ideal no matter what any one else tells you.

look at baxi, potterton, vaillant or Worcester for good boiler
expect to pay around £600 - 800 for boiler, flue and controls, then labour on top a good engineer will expect a good wage - 2 days at minimum wage isn't going to inspire the installer to do a good job! i would be looking at £600 as a minimum
remember you get what you pay for.

kev

Hi I'm Mrs staithes14 - Would it be more cost efficient to offer to supply materials ourselves as we're part of B & Q Trade Point, and just ask for a quote for labour? There are boilers in the Trade Point catalogue for around £400 and tbh we just want something basic in order to get round this problem and crack on with finishing the conservatory build.

Yes, that will be cheaper. BUT: the old adage still goes; buy cheap get cheap. Most decent installers won't touch this kind of deal, so you are looking at about 10:1 chances of getting a cowboy when you go this route.

Let's face it, you wouldn't try to get a garage to fit the spares you found on a boot fair, would you? “hiya mate, found this lump at a breaker's, can you just stick it in for me?”

one other thing to be wary about,is if you supply the boiler and it goes faulty it will be down to you to get it sorted

No reason why you can't have your boiler moved, especially as it's a Glow-worm Fuelsaver (these boilers were made to last).

No reason why you can't have your boiler moved, especially as it's a Glow-worm Fuelsaver (these boilers were made to last).

Really? I thought moving an old boiler counted as a 'new' installation and that therefore the old boiler wouldn't meet modern regs.

I'm actually pretty happy with the old boiler (the Glow-Worm, not the wife). If it's moveable that'll do me.

go into plumb center near you and ask them about an ideal logic plus
5 year warrenty £625 excellent little boiler. new to the market tho
but iv fitted a load not one problem. (heat only)

anywhere between 1k to 1.5k labour is a good quote id say

but remenber you may also then have to upgrade your system into y or s plan.. if not then great ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back